Explain the rationale behind using a V7 chord in mnor key

Pumpthrust

I don't understand why we do this. Thus far, i've been scouring the 'net for info on x-mas break but everywhere else teaches the natural minor key chords slightly different. My professor states that in a minor key, the "seven" chord is a major (VII), in my textbook, they use vii*. Same thing with the III which i've seen other places spelled as III+7 and, of course, V7 which I thought was supposed to be a minor v in the minor key, but other places say otherwise. What is the reasoning for so much inconsistency when talking about diatonic minor keys, especially if the words "harmonic" or "melodic" has not come into play? I'm a first year music major and i'd prefer not to have to deal with these types of inconsistencies, particularly if its my intent on working with other musicians.

I just want to know what the STANDARD natural minor scale is and when and why would we ever deviate from that (like using chords not diatonic to the scale)
Sorry if this came across as sloppy, i'm a first year music major, after all.

I don't know the answer to this either, but I find that it "just works." Using major or dominant IV or V chords in a minor key just seems to add tension and "drama" in a non-dissonant way. III+7 in a minor key, though, would be in-key and would be the equivalent to V minor over III

I dont know the technical answer to this either, im just delving into learning theory on my own, but man, dont get caught up in that shit. Who the **** cares why this why that. Just make shit that sounds good. You know what im saying though? Of course theory is beneficial, thats why im looking in to it. I need to improve my chords and shit thats the main reason, but what im saying is when your sitting down making music like well ok so far i have this and this and i should go here next according to theory, then i think thats a problem. I mean not a problem, but do you see what im saying? I can see your issue about working with other people and when you say one thing they think another cause of the 'inconsistencies' you speak of, but i think the reason for the inconsistency is beacause though there is a theory yes, you cant solely go off that. Not everything works all the time. Just go with the flow.

.02 haha

Yoh!!!!!

When the brain hurts because of inconsistent information it usually comes back to lack of clarity in naming something.

You are experiencing "Name that minor" brainstorms - conflict in information attempting to rewrite what you know at the synaptic level in your brain; it is why you get fuzzy thinking about things like this.

So here's the deal - there are 3 minor scales that we use - the natural (which you know), the harmonic (which is bothering you), and the melodic (which will just flip you out).

Scale degreeExampleNaturalExampleHarmonicExampleMelodicExample
1AiA-C-EiA-C-EiA-C-E
2Bii[sup]b5[/sup]B-D-Fii[sup]b5[/sup]B-D-FiiB-D-F#
[sup]b[/sup]3C[sup]b[/sup]IIIC-E-G[sup]b[/sup]III[sup]#5[/sup]C-E-G[sup]#5[/sup][sup]b[/sup]III[sup]#5[/sup]C-E-G[sup]#5[/sup]
4DivD-F-AivD-F-AIVD-F[sup]#[/sup]-A
5EvE-G-BVE-G[sup]#[/sup]-BVE-G[sup]#[/sup]-B
[sup]b[/sup]6F[sup]b[/sup]VIF-A-C[sup]b[/sup]VIF-A-C--
6F[sup]#[/sup]----vi[sup]b5[/sup]F[sup]#[/sup]-A-C
[sup]b[/sup]7G[sup]b[/sup]VIIG-B-D----
7G#--vii[sup]b5[/sup]G[sup]#[/sup]-B-Dvii[sup]b5[/sup]G[sup]#[/sup]-B-D
As you can see from the table, each of the chords affected by the raised 7th of the harmonic minor and melodic minor scales change their triadic quality. This also happens for the chords affected by the raised 6th of the melodic minor scale.

So there you have it: why we use V instead of v and along the way why [SUP]b[/SUP]VII becomes vii[SUP]b5[/SUP] and [SUP]b[/SUP]VI becomes vi[SUP]b5[/SUP] and ii[SUP]b5[/SUP] becomes ii and [SUP]b[/SUP]III becomes [SUP]b[/SUP]III[SUP]#5[/SUP].

Oh, yeah, I have named the scale tones according to their relationship the major scale to show deviations that make each minor scale. This is standard practice. The minor scale is predicated on one idea: that the 3rd of the scale is flatted - the rest is decoration and contextual information; i.e. it tells us whether it is melodic (no other changes), harmonic ([SUP]b[/SUP]6 as well) or natural ([SUP]b[/SUP]6 and [SUP]b[/SUP]7 as well).

Last edited:
Yoh!!!!!

When the brain hurts because of inconsistent information it usually comes back to lack of clarity in naming something.

You are experiencing "Name that minor" brainstorms - conflict in information attempting to rewrite what you know at the synaptic level in your brain; it is why you get fuzzy thinking about things like this.

So here's the deal - there are 3 minor scales that we use - the natural (which you know), the harmonic (which is bothering you), and the melodic (which will just flip you out).

Scale degreeExampleNaturalExampleHarmonicExampleMelodicExample
1AiA-C-EiA-C-EiA-C-E
2Bii[SUP]b5[/SUP]B-D-Fii[SUP]b5[/SUP]B-D-FiiB-D-F#
[SUP]b[/SUP]3C[SUP]b[/SUP]IIIC-E-G[SUP]b[/SUP]III[SUP]#5[/SUP]C-E-G[SUP]#5[/SUP][SUP]b[/SUP]III[SUP]#5[/SUP]C-E-G[SUP]#5[/SUP]
4DivD-F-AivD-F-AIVD-F[SUP]#[/SUP]-A
5EvE-G-BVE-G[SUP]#[/SUP]-BVE-G[SUP]#[/SUP]-B
[SUP]b[/SUP]6F[SUP]b[/SUP]VIF-A-C[SUP]b[/SUP]VIF-A-C--
6F[SUP]#[/SUP]----vi[SUP]b5[/SUP]F[SUP]#[/SUP]-A-C
[SUP]b[/SUP]7G[SUP]b[/SUP]VIIG-B-D----
7G#--vii[SUP]b5[/SUP]G[SUP]#[/SUP]-B-Dvii[SUP]b5[/SUP]G[SUP]#[/SUP]-B-D
As you can see from the table, each of the chords affected by the raised 7th of the harmonic minor and melodic minor scales change their triadic quality. This is happens for the chords affected by the raised 6th of the melodic minor scale.

So there you have it: why we use V instead of v and along the way why [SUP]b[/SUP]VII becomes vii[SUP]b5[/SUP] and [SUP]b[/SUP]VI becomes vi[SUP]b5[/SUP] and ii[SUP]b5[/SUP] becomes ii and [SUP]b[/SUP]III becomes [SUP]b[/SUP]III[SUP]#5[/SUP].

Oh, yeah, I have named the scale tones according to their relationship the major scale to show deviations that make each minor scale. This is standard practice. The minor scale is predicated on one idea: that the 3rd of the scale is flatted - the rest is decoration and contextual information; i.e. it tells us whether it is melodic (no other changes), harmonic ([SUP]b[/SUP]6 as well) or natural ([SUP]b[/SUP]6 and [SUP]b[/SUP]7 as well).

Thanks for answering I've asked this question across two other forums, have read three different websites lessons on minor scale chords, re-read my textbook several times, and reviewed my class notes over and over and I STILL am not clear on what minor scale chords i'm supposed to be using. Up until now, I assumed that we were only using the aeolian mode to build our minor scale chords, but of course, my professor has his version (excuse my naming convention, but this is how I learned it I don't see any reason to change it for the time being)

i7 ii[SUP]ø7 [/SUP] III7 iv7 Vdom7 VI7 VII7

My textbook has their version:

i7 ii[SUP]ø7 [/SUP] III7 iv7 Vdom7 VI7 vii*7

Now, I understand the historical context of WHY composers decided to make this much more complicated than it needed to be, but for a first year theory student, I would have appreciated some grounding in diatonic fact rather than, "eh, it just sounds good so thats why we do it".
So, if my intent is to build a scale of minor chords, and minor chord scales is nothing more than an amalgamation of all three minor scales, then how do I even attempt to go about doing this since according to the internet, my textbook, and my professor, there is no "right way" just many different "preferred" ways. My goal is to learn this stuff and apply it not only in a careful, and intelligent manner, but also an effortless manner befitting of the time spent understanding it.
So could you please show me what chords make up the "generic" minor scale chords if the way that I learned it using the aeolian mode which apparently no one who understands this shit worth a lick likes to use despite it ABSOLUTELY MAKING SENSE in relation not only to the Major scale, but everything else i've learned about theory thus far. I'm just trying to figure out one consistent method for building a minor chord scale so that I can move on. I'm reading your chart, Bandcoach, but I just cannot get my head around how we determine which chords to cherry pick from each to build our minor chord scales. My brain can't make sense of why you would introduce a chord into your scale that is CLEARLY not diatonic to it. For example, following your chart and the minor chord scale I was given:

i A C E
iib5 B D F
III C E G
iv D F A
V E G# B
VI F A C
VII G# B D

now, obviously, we have a problem here, so I assume we make the III chord augmented since we've raised the 7th degree everywhere else, lets be consistent, right? So that III chord is now III+ (C E G#). So you see, following this logic, i'm wasting time building a chord scale I was NEVER TAUGHT TO USE.
Look, I know i'm coming off frustrated, but i've been plugging away at this since 10 am this morning and still am not anywhere close to understanding how to build a minor chord scale.

I've emailed my instructor, but he has yet to get back to me about this topic.

Last edited:
1st point, the internet is hardly ever right - that is why I demand sources other than wikipedia.

Second, I did not give the 7th chords, so it looks like your prof is giving you the jazz slant.

Thirdly, there is only one basic reason why we have V[sup]7[/sup] in the minor - it was adopted to ensure that a perfect cadence in the minor (V-i) was convincing and had the same degree of finality that a perfect cadence in the major had. To make it so, that meant raising the 7th note of the natural minor.

So, if my intent is to build a scale of minor chords, and minor chord scales is nothing more than an amalgamation of all three minor scales, then how do I even attempt to go about doing this since according to the internet, my textbook, and my professor, there is no "right way" just many different "preferred" ways. My goal is to learn this stuff and apply it not only in a careful, and intelligent manner, but also an effortless manner befitting of the time spent understanding it.

Each of the scale types are, to a degree, mix and match. However, the variance in chords is down to three considerations:

Have a Major chord for chord 5 leading to a dominant 7th being available for cadential work and other situations. This is why ALL chord work for the minor in diatonic harmony is based in the Harmonic Minor Scale.

Have material that works melodically - i.e. is pleasing to the ear - this is the reason for the existence of the Melodic Minor Scale with its attendant rules about ascending notes and descending notes - ascending the notes 6 and 7 are as if they were part of the tonic major scale; descending these notes are treated as they were members of the tonic natural minor scale. The rules are actually a little more complicated than that - assume A melodic minor is our scale for the following (the subscript numbers following each note indicate the octave relative to middle C as C[SUB]3[/SUB]):
F[SUB]3[/SUB]-E[SUB]3[/SUB]-G[SUB]3[/SUB]-F[SUB]3[/SUB]-E[SUB]3[/SUB]-D[SUB]3[/SUB] ~ [SUP]b[/SUP]6-5-[SUP]b[/SUP]7-[SUP]b[/SUP]6-5-4 ~ Each instance of 6 and 7 is declared to be descending because the note following it is below it
F[SUB]3[/SUB]-E[SUB]3[/SUB]-G[SUB]3[/SUB]-F[SUP]#[/SUP][SUB]3[/SUB]-A[SUB]3[/SUB]-D[SUB]3[/SUB] ~ [SUP]b[/SUP]6-5-[SUP]b[/SUP]7-6-1-4 ~ The second instance of 6 is declared to be ascending to because it is followed by A the above it.
F[SUP]#[/SUP][SUB]3[/SUB]-G[SUB]3[/SUB]-E[SUB]3[/SUB]-F[SUP]#[/SUP][SUB]3[/SUB]-G[SUP]#[/SUP][SUB]3[/SUB]-A[SUB]3[/SUB] ~ 6-[SUP]b[/SUP]7-5-6-7-1 ~ F# is always ascending as it moves to the note above it, the first G is descending and the second G is ascending.

You are using the Jazz minor - which is based on the Melodic Minor but is the same ascending and descending and brings it's own harmony with it.

So could you please show me what chords make up the "generic" minor scale chords if the way that I learned it using the aeolian mode which apparently no one who understands this shit worth a lick likes to use despite it ABSOLUTELY MAKING SENSE in relation not only to the Major scale, but everything else i've learned about theory thus far.

The issue with the natural minor scale is that it is essentially the major scale in drag. So most folks call it the major and are done with it. However, as a mode of the major scale, it brings with it required patterns of chord progressions, the most common being the substitution of the Perfect cadence by the following modal cadence: [SUP]b[/SUP]VII-i ~ G-Amin ~ G-B-D -> A-C-E; which for those tuned to the major scale is actually the deceptive cadence.

I'm just trying to figure out one consistent method for building a minor chord scale so that I can move on. I'm reading your chart, Bandcoach, but I just cannot get my head around how we determine which chords to cherry pick from each to build our minor chord scales.

The chart/table shows the scale degrees with an example of each note based on A minor in the first two columns.

It then shows the Natural minor chord scale and an example of each chord within A minor in the next two columns.

It goes on to describe the Harmonic and Melodic minor scales in similar fashion.

It is not like a colour picker where you can choose what to use from each column; rather it is meant simply to show the construction of each scale and what chords can be generated from them - look closely at each column; you will see that some notes do not exist within specific scales.

My brain can't make sense of why you would introduce a chord into your scale that is CLEARLY not diatonic to it. For example, following your chart and the minor chord scale I was given:

i A C E
iib5 B D F
III C E G
iv D F A
V E G# B
VI F A C
VII G# B D

now, obviously, we have a problem here, so I assume we make the III chord augmented since we've raised the 7th degree everywhere else, lets be consistent, right? So that III chord is now III+ (C E G#). So you see, following this logic, i'm wasting time building a chord scale I was NEVER TAUGHT TO USE.
Look, I know i'm coming off frustrated, but i've been plugging away at this since 10 am this morning and still am not anywhere close to understanding how to build a minor chord scale.

I've emailed my instructor, but he has yet to get back to me about this topic.

Simple answer is that there are four minor chord scales, as described above.

You cannot cherry pick what you want to use and not use in your minor scale harmonisation if you are going to be true to the scale you have chosen to work within.

Each of the minor scales serves a different purpose:

Natural is strictly modal in application and practice. You can use this for melodic material but rarely ever use it for harmonic material in strict diatonic practice. Based on what you have written previously, this means your prof is sticking the natural minor scale in his teaching.

Harmonic is about providing a link to the tonic major form of the perfect cadence, V-i. It is strictly a harmonic (chord generating) scale.

Melodic is about providing melodic direction cues and variety in melodic nuances, that while not directly available in the major, are possible with the use of chromatic tones added to the melody (not to be confused with modulation tones). it used over the harmonic minor generated chords.

Jazz minor is about letting jazzers play like they are almost in the major (i.e. there is only one note different [SUP]b[/SUP]3).

Last edited:
Back