Easy to use synths?

MilcoB

Anything simple to use besides the usual (Sylenth, Serum, Massive, Omnisphere).
I love sound design in ableton more than the VST, if that makes sense!

Do you consider the ones you mentioned simple? Just trying to scope out what you're looking for.

To directly answer the question, the Atari Punk Console (APC) is almost for sure the simplest synth imaginable. One could probably find the necessary parts just lying around. APCs aren't particularly flashy or amazing devices tho.

However, yours is an interesting question. Is there a synth that is easier to use than another? Would one ask, for example, is the acoustic guitar easier to play than the electric, or a baritone? Not really, right? One hits strings and sound is produced.

Fundamentally, a synth is an oscillator, noise generator, or both... or many of each. 'Playing' an oscillator is as easy as turning the knob (and then sometimes but not always striking a key). The sound produced by the oscillators can be sent through filters, can be gated or sequenced, or could be sent to trigger another section of the synth...or all of the above... there is a lot we can do. None of this is particularly difficult, right, just turning knobs and patching. (Not saying anyone with even a little bit of know how is going to get the exact sound they want every time, but the physical act of using a synth is much easier than, say, playing viola for instance).

To make ANY and ALL synths 'easy' to play, understanding how the oscillator works and how to send those sounds from one place to another in the unit is key. Whats a low pass, whats a band pass, what frequency range is white, blue, pink noise, etc. If you know this, then you know every synth is just another synth, analog VST, whatever, some just sound 'better' than others.

Hope that helps.

Well.. Sonic Academy has created this synth named A.N.A, I really like it.
But I prefer Massive, Serum, and Sylenth though. But try to check it out.

Back