Drum Timing Help Please

SimonT

Hi!

Could do with help with this timing please.

https://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/63bpm-drum

I want to know what time signature it is. It's 63bpm as you may have already seen from the title. I've used a kick drum and hi-hats in the example.

Also, can anyone tell me of an easy way of working out guitar strum timings? I know most are 4/4 but when they're not, I'm stuffed so to speak.

I am gonna go through www.teoria.com again but if anyone knows of a simple method.

Thanks!

learning to recognise rhythm is really the only solution to your guitar strumming problem

your drum track could be any of the following

8 bars of 3/8

4 bars of 6/8

2 bars of 12/8

Thanks bandcoach.

Sorry, didn't mean strum timings. Meant to recognize what the drum time signature is to the guitar strum if you get me.

Last edited:
learning to recognise rhythm is really the only solution to your guitar strumming problem

your drum track could be any of the following

8 bars of 3/8

4 bars of 6/8

2 bars of 12/8

Ok yeah. There is a way of working it out, something to do with listening for when the snare hits or falls I think. So how do I know which one of those 3 is the specific right one for my song. Will it be how many chords there are or how many bars the chord loop fits into perhaps?

tough to be more accurate without more musical detail present in the example

If it were 6/8 snare would hit on the second beat and we would count the beats like so

1-2-3-2-2-3-etc

if it were 12/8 the snare would hit on the second and fourth beats and we would count it like so

1-2-3-2-2-3-3-2-3-4-2-3-etc

if it were 3/8 I'd expect the snare to hit on the 2 and 3 as we counted

1-2-3-1-2-3-1-2-3-1-2-3-etc

Last edited:
Yup, Coach has given as much info as anybody could (given the example). You have what appears to be 8th notes in groups of 3; that's about all you can say until you add some more parts... And yes, a steady snare drum pattern could help to determine the actual time sig. ...

GJ

Back