drum sounds - does anyone else do this?

M

mattu

Just a litle question:

when I record the drum track for a choon, I usually use or sample more organic drum sounds for snare and kick as the main drum sound. But I also mix in a more synthetic sound (like a classic 909 sound) underneath this, to give it a little more punch and drive. I find this saves me a lot of time that I could've spent compressing and eq'ing 'til my ears were bleeding to get a punchy drum sound.

Does anyone else do this, or am I just wasting my time?

good idea dude ... if mixing in a track over another during a regular djing session, this sort f overlaid kick thing occurs, so why not use it to your advantage in a track...

...i just hooked up my dj setup to my kpro tools setup, and was getting all stoked tonight about how i can nick a few cool kick sounds.
i reckon the kick frequency really is affecting people in a powerful basic way, and is important to make sure at least you are feeling good about the way it is affecting you!
where's da tracks? i can post one for you at one of the addresses i have ... (unless it's utter cr@p, hheehe

I won't upload any tracks until they have vocals on them (i.e. finished) but I'll let you know as soon as I'm done.;)

It's so spacious it makes infinity seem like a matchbox.

uhh, what am I talking about?

Just natural drum sounds. Listen to any recent MAW production and it's something like that drum sound I'm after as the main sound. You know, sounds that reminds you of old wooden Tamas in dirty basements. I'm trying to work with as much live bass, piano and guitars as possible, too. Like, making electronic music with acoustic instruments. That's what i want to do.

Sounds like u got a bit of a concept going there...yeah, always good to have a concept happening. Not sure of what MAW is though.
i got a fretless bass in my hands right now, been firing off licks. got some nice guitars. no piano or bongos, which i would like to have, well, some percussion at least! Have a strange gong thing from Thailand, from the markets at the "step temple" near Chiang Mai.

Putting percussion through the Kaoss Pad is a highly organic and enjoyable experience i find.

ok u can have my tip on making natural sounding phatness, in orchestral things right, just de-tune the instrument a bit :) duplicate the phrase so u have two or 3 copies and de-tune it, easy :) one nice phat natural sound effect

scandinavian

speaking of scandinavian music have you guys ever hearda pan sonic .... best of the best .....

No, never heard of Pan Sonic, what's that?

i-clan -> MAW = Masters At Work:)

mattu said:
Like, making electronic music with acoustic instruments. That's what i want to do.

hey, that's what I'm trying to do too. :) :D :)

cool.

Heh heh, both ways are g:) :) d. I'm also big into the Tenaglia/tribal house stuff - and, as my nickname may imply, I'm very fond of dubby stuff, so I suspect you'll be hearing some fairly minimal tribal dubby house music from me as well. I do like vocals so that will be incorporated too.

Back