Downtempo, DNB Tips and Tricks

noble5ive

Hello everyone i'm new to the forum. I must say there's alot of good info flooting around here and everyone seems to be respectful and that's mad cool. I wanted to start a post for downtempo and drum n bass tips and tricks. Please post anything you have to contribute as possible. I'm currently producing hip hop but want to branch out to the downtempo and drum n bass genres too. So far I got the hang of timestreching a drum loop. Pitching samples and such but I know there's always another way to do things. The sound I currently like is Break Reform, Portishead, Bork, DJ Krush, etc....

I wish i could add to this post but im also lost when it comes to downtempo. Lets get this thread going.

I've been making electronic music for about six years now, and after experimenting with nearly every genre, I must say I like working with DNB and downtempo the best.

I find that I'm most creative after listening to an old jazz album, Mingus for example. It also helps to start with a basic beat of one bar and construct the bass around that, then everything else.

If you get stuck, render about 16 bars to an mp3 and put it on your iPod or whatever. Listen to it while you're out and about, and you'll often find yourself whistling or humming a harmonic track to it. Record that musical idea as soon as possible (I usually use my phone when I'm out) and then sequence it when you get home.

The best time (for me) to make DNB is when I'm having a great day, and the best time (for me) to make downtempo is when I'm having a really crappy day.

What exactly consitutes a song being downtempo? I've always wondered this. I know it can't be just the fact that the tempo is lower than usual. That would be too easy.

That's pretty much my understanding. I'm sure there are small arguable details, but it seems that anything ~90 to ~55 bpm can be downtempo.

That said, it's funny how you can make a DNB song at 160 bpm into a pretty fat downtempo song at 90 bpm. The two share a lot of characteristics in general.

Of course, I may just be full of shift.

That's pretty much my understanding. I'm sure there are small arguable details, but it seems that anything ~90 to ~55 bpm can be downtempo.

That said, it's funny how you can make a DNB song at 160 bpm into a pretty fat downtempo song at 90 bpm. The two share a lot of characteristics in general.

Of course, I may just be full of shift.

Yes the two are very much the same besides tempo. That's why I wanted to start this post. So far though no one really post any tips so i'll be the first. This is funny cuz I read this on another form but it makes more sense for this genre. When composing Drum n Bass the tempo is much faster right. Try this...take a nice drum loop speed it up to let's say 90 bpm take it up a few cents to sound faster...chop it up. Instead of setting your tempo at 180 because you speed up the sample leave it at 90 and program your beat. BOOM it works at least it did for me I made a DNB track like this in 10 minutes. Seriouly! Not trying to give out an obvious trick or secert or even state something that's already been posted but this works. Someone please post some more info on these genres. Not saying that the last postings were pointless I REALLY APERICATE ANY RESPONSE. I just want to spread some knowledge on these genres.

sort of a hobbyist here, not a professional (thinking about it), but the best advice i can contribute is to EXPERIMENT. USE the computer, make it work for you. tweek everything to your liking, as well as your computer's ability. do not allow any material in your piece of music that is of even the slightest digression from what you envision. no matter how great you think other $h!+ sounds, all ears DEMAND newer $h!+, in the general way that people need new, fresher perspectives. even if it takes DAYS to perfect one tiny little note. i think careful, honest deliberation is KEY...

Last edited:
I might have to disagree. It is good to take your time to get the sound you want but you can over do it. I have this problem. Fact of the matter is you are probably the only one who is going to notice after a certain point. I had this pointed out by another producer. He basically said there just comes a time when you need to call it a day and complete your song. There will always be something that could be done better but sometimes you just have to let go a little.

I might have to disagree. It is good to take your time to get the sound you want but you can over do it. I have this problem. Fact of the matter is you are probably the only one who is going to notice after a certain point. I had this pointed out by another producer. He basically said there just comes a time when you need to call it a day and complete your song. There will always be something that could be done better but sometimes you just have to let go a little.

Cameron Thomas said:
What exactly consitutes a song being downtempo? I've always wondered this. I know it can't be just the fact that the tempo is lower than usual. That would be too easy.
Downtempo has emerger from hiphop-instrumentals and various chill out -music. It's laid-back electronic music, but often with jazzy-moods and hiphop-style drumbeats. It's music for car commercials, trendy hotel elevators and chillrooms. Not far from nujazz and triphop, as they are sometimes put under the same genre (altough they sound different). Downtempo, triphop, modern dub and nujazz producers tend to produce em all. Or at least I do that.

A good guide for a quick peek into the genre: http://www.epitonic.com/genres/downtempo.html

Sorry I can't give any spesific tips on producing the genre.. it's one of my main things definedly but damn hard to put the techniques into words. It's not that far from 90's hiphop-sound, maybe polished a bit with modern studio-equipment. Combined into new ideas and strong jazz-feel. Altough downtempo is extremely versatile genre, so I think all of my **** above was useless information.

A few elements that I think are part of the downtempo genre:

1.Old breaks are often used,thats not necessarily a rule,as you can use just use a simple drum machine kit.The best result is to combine those two.

2.Use of Rhodes (jazzy) samples or a similar soft emulator like Lounge lizard...

3.Ambient synths,strings etc...

4.Dub delay if you like that flavor or just plain delay...

5.Various samples: cut up vocals,choir`s,spoken word...

6.Hidden groove element. Mood,or theme of the whole song...You may be a good producer with a lot of knowledge but if you dont have this "sixth" element your song will sound like a B commercial type of flick.
---------------------------
Listen to Thievery Corp. for instance,their music is really not that complex and yet they manage to have "that sound".

Last edited:
It helps to maybe put the snare like.. a tiny bit off to get that cruisy effect, offbeats are good with Downtempo

Back