Downtempo Chillwave Song?

Jeffrop6691

Has anyone ever heard "phantasm" by cosmos midnight?

http://soundcloud.com/cosmosmidnight/cosmos-midnight-phantasm-feat

This song is sick and I was really inspired by this group to try making downtempo/chillwave music because this genre really sits well with me and I might make it my niche per say.

I was wondering what tempo I should use because I don't like to be too low of a tempo because then I'm limited to nothing past 1/16 and I want some Triple beats for sure in there and ableton doesn't let me get too specific once I get down to around 75 bpm. I was thinking about just doing like 110 and then just stretching notes further. I mean as long as it sounds good and is timed correctly and is it that big of a deal?

I was also wondering if anyone had any advice for me about this genre of music that I may not know being so new to it. It really seems to be one of the most forgotten genre of EDM and I had hard time finding anything online that helped me.

Thanks!

I was wondering what tempo I should use because I don't like to be too low of a tempo because then I'm limited to nothing past 1/16 and I want some Triple beats for sure in there and ableton doesn't let me get too specific once I get down to around 75 bpm.

What exactly do you mean by "Ableton doesn't let me get too specific"?

I was wondering what tempo I should use because I don't like to be too low of a tempo because then I'm limited to nothing past 1/16 and I want some Triple beats
Well, the genre's name is downtempo, so basically you'll have a low tempo for the song. For example, most drum and bass songs are made at 174bpm (but range from 150 to 180), and downtempo dnb is usually half of this (also called downtempo dnb). In fact, it's up to you. you'll decide how your song progresses.

and ableton doesn't let me get too specific once I get down to around 75 bpm.
Funny. You should be able to work on a 75bpm song the same way you work on a 360bpm song, regardless of the DAW in question.

I swear it wouldn't let me yesterday and then when I tried today it would do it lol. I think it didn't refresh the track when I changed tempo (already had some of the beat layed down) so I guess now that I rebooted ableton it works fine. Thanks guys sorry to post unnecessarily.

Back