down tempo jazz/funk loop

J

Jazzwannabe

can any one help on providing tips and tricks on creating down tempo jazz/funk loop, i.e.

1234 1234 1234 1234
bass ---- ----- ----- -----
beat ---- ---- ----- ----
drum ---- ---- ----- -----

the drum pattern should be similar to those funk beat (i.e. David Holmes style )

Please help !!

well, funk bass is made up a lot of notes with octaves and fifths close by, and a lot of syncopated rhythms, or you get three chromatic notes in a row plus fill ins.

i also found that a lot of funk drums are a bar of a rhythm then the next bar is simlar, but not exactly the same, then back to the original etc. etc.

When you're starting out in funk, it's best to understand that it is a play of syncopation against straight, so the best aproach is to make one part very simple and let the other syncopate around it.
For example, you can have a simple "walking" bass, on quarters or eights, with a syncopated kick/snare beat, and straight 8's on the hihat.
Or you can go for a straight ahead drum beat (kick on 1 and 3, snare on 2 and 4, hat riding on the 8ths) and a syncopated bassline.
Most important beat in funk is 1. Everybody hits on 1. Sometimes you can accent the 1 at the beginning of every 2 or 4 bar phrase instead of every measure.
listen to some p-funk, or herbie hancock's classic "headhunters" (the album that started acid jazz). And don't do a triplet feel but always have just a bit of swing on the 16ths.

Thanks,

i am still a beginner to music composing, just to clarify the advices you given,

drum beat (kick on 1 and 3, snare on 2 and 4, hat riding on the 8ths) and a syncopated bassline.

1234 1234 1234 1234
kick x x
share x x
hat ?????

and how to and what is sdyncopoted /walking bassline ???

I am using FruityLoop 3.

Please help ?

Syncopated: rhythmically irregular

Walking bass: a bassline used almost consistently in jazz, where the bass moves at a steady pulse in mostly stepwise or chord intervals.

there are some good books out there on jazz theory; Pick one up, because there are some things that are beyond the scope of a forum.

Thanks,

I've read abit of what Walking Bass, thanks for the advice. Anyway, will be grateful if you can give me examples of walking bass in house music ??

Back