Does a progressive house bassline has to be layered with a sub bass layer?

tomhold

I am currently working on a track that has this type of basslines used in tracks of stadiumx, steve angello, all these EDM artists.

ButI just have a simple channel with my bassline with some processing, so my question is it necessary for a better quality a sub layer?

I ve seen in some tutorials that they have 3 layer for a bassline

Hope thats clear enough

Does it sound good without it? No, nothing has to be done just because. Unless you want to conform to the Genre Police™.

I would say for dance music it's highly recommended that you have something in the very low end to make the walls vibrate in the club.

The thing is, your normal bass patch will normally contain a sub anyway naturally, but sometimes somewhere along the sound designing it gets a bit lost, so sometimes people like to add in a separate clean sub- but if your bass sounds fine without it, don't bother

Yes, exactly my patch has some good low frequencies and it sounds good. But my aim is to achieve a solid mix down where it can played and still sounding good in any device either a club or an iphone.
So sub layer would just be simple sine wave?

So sub layer would just be simple sine wave?

Yeah, that's what it often is. And like scrapheaper said, it's very often done these days. My original point was simply that don't do stuff because "it's the norm", do it because that's what your track needs.

If you lowpass your master at 100hz, you'll be able to hear just your sub-frequencies. If they're like you want, then that's fine. Assuming you have good enough monitors/headphones to be able to hear the sub.

Yes most EDM house songs have a background sub bass layer. Sometimes its blended in so well it sounds like it's glued on to the main mid and high frequencies of a separate bass that you are mostly hearing but in all actuality the sub just compliments. �� blend your sub in. Make sure your kick and sub is in mono because most club system are mono. Most DAW's have a stereo / mono utility

Last edited:
Back