does anyone here find a "reverse" effect tool useful or creative?

prodeucer

I don't believe I have this tool but I've been curious about it to add depth or to catch someone's attention. Is it a good effect to have? Which box has it? Is it usually included in samplers?

Some CD players have it, most DAWs make it pretty easy to play a track or section of a track in reverse. Some samplers do too. Depends on what you want it for and how you like to work...

There's a tonne of these.. Most samplers can do it, in my Maschine I can flip a switch and it'll play any sample in reverse. There's also a whole lot of buffer and stutter effects on the market, they take incoming audio, chop it and, among other things, reverse it on the go. It's a pretty nifty effect, but also one that wears out it's welcome quickly and doesn't take a whole lot of skill or originality to pull off. Used sparingly it's pretty effective though.

you can reverse any sound easily with the simple fl sampler, as far as useful the only thing ive ever used it for is mayber a shizzley build up with a cymbal when i was first learning

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes and no. A lot of great hip hop albums, things by 8 ball MJG and Street Gospel by Suga Free,have used reverse audio in their intros, but that was in a time where it was very clever to do. I would say its cheesy, unnecessary, and unappealing. But maybe you can find a new way to use it. Also, almost every DAW has a reverse tool. Get yourself a better DAW.

Back