Do you have to follow Chord Progression rules and stuff?

FroggyG

Ok I made a chord progression that doesn't really follow the 1.minor 2.diminshed 3.major 4. minor 5.minor 6. major 7.major Rule is saw in a book that I have. Also when i made I used a major pentatonic scale instead of a minor one. Idk if it musically incorrect but I kinda like it. it's C min D min E min G maj D Min E Min D#Min B Min.

Ok I actually made a chord progression like a normal person but I still like the one I made.

Last edited:
I'm still learning myself. I think the chord progression is just a guide for the ear. How the chords connect and etc. If the chord you did sounds cool, then keep it. If YOU have doubts about the chord and/or progression, then change it. It's up to you. Choose wisely. Lol.

The basic rules teach you how to make 'normal' sounding music. You can break the rules but it will sound slightly less 'normal'

As you get more and more advanced you learn what any combination of notes sounds like, so you can find less obvious/normal things that sound good in different ways.

For example one of my favorite pieces of music is Bill Evans/Miles Davis Blue in Green:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GnDwgRgpYcE
It doesn't sound 'normal' but I really like it. The theory is quite complicated though.

When you know a lot of theory you can almost predict what kind of mood/emotion notes will have without listening to them.

Even if a person writes a song using no theory whatsoever, someone else could come along and say what the theory is.

Last edited:
Aside from what is said above, rules are made to be broken is something that really applies to music making A LOT!
On the one hand, you can use mainstream techniques and sounds. If it sounds correct and if it fits neatly into a certain genre, you'll have a good chance masses will like your music. If it's quality ( a lot of musicians just go by if they or a friend likes what they hear, others will probably also like it). On the other hand, you can also look for that new sound. A totally new genre of music or a general sound or feel that makes you stand out from the rest. In trying to achieve the above, making music, there are rules but they're more like a general outlining. Everything is possible and you can do everything. Good chance you'll find something that really wouldn't fit in the basic rule book but that does appeal to a lot of people.
Think of people like Jimmi Hendrix for example. He basically broke the rule book with his style of playing the guitar.
Another example, look at how many sorts of scales there are out there. Usually, we work in a major or minor scale that consists of 7 notes. That scale has a pentatonic scale of 5 notes that'll pretty much always sound good when played in that scale. That will accommodate a very large proportion of modern music. But, with so many countries around and so much music around, not everyone is set so much in major or minor and doesn't come further then that. Take india for example (oriental music vs non oriental music). In Hollywood, a movie is considered succesful when 300 million ppl hit the theatres. In India, when only 300 million ppl hit the theatres, the movie is a failure :p. Back to scales, there's a ton of different scales that'll work as well. Normally, in a C Major scale, it'll sound weird if you start playing a flat or sharp note. In certain other scales, it'll sound alright. Think of scales like the dominant 7th, an oriental scale, a cowboy scale, etc. There are about 29 scales that I can think of. There's a certain theory behind what sounds good together, but if tomorrow somebody comes with a new scale that works, makes a new track with that scale and get's massive playback, big chance we'll have a new scale ;)
Music theory (rules sounds so compulsory) is a nice guide line and it'll help you to get where you want to get. But, don't see it as something set in stone. Trying to deviate from something well known can help you be creative and outstanding. It's easier said then done though. If you want to be famous and make music for the masses, there's always a fine balance between keeping it simple, real and recognizable vs being innovative.

Last edited:
Hey FroggyG,

First of all, as a songwriter you're free to do what you want.

BUT:
1) You will have troubles coming up with a memorable hook for a chord progression like that.
2) Many people will dislike your chord progression as is since it doesn't follow our western understanding of music.
3) Download this list of 143 commercial chord progressions. I recommend using one of these progressions for a start.
Before you start experimenting, learn how to craft a simple pop song first. This will help you understand the "rules" of
music much better when you then explore more interesting chord progressions.

Hope this helps :)
Friedemann

You dont have to strictly follow these progression rules, but its good to know them. Just make chords and if they sound good to you then run wit it! But when youre on writers block its good to know some rules tho!

No need to follow rules however, train your ears to learn for tension, release and resolution with chords, similar to the 2-5-1 but you don't have to stick in the same key
A chord progression generally needs to resolve itself to be complete. Most POP music will resolve on a major, most R&B Jazz a minor

Another thing is I have yet to find a chord progression that is actually 'forbidden' by music theory.

If anyone does find one let me know

Back