Do you always need to know what style?

Mark.ThisBeat

New to producing and my main interest is producing Rap beats, but one thing I’d like to know from other producers is do you think you should always know what sub-genre you want to produce when starting a session? E.g trap etc...

Or is it best to just open up and start doing what you do and making music?

I much prefer the second option, but interested what you all do.

Normally option #2 but recently I've been forcing myself to stick to a particular style and sound that I have in my head BEFORE starting a session... but in general yeah it's a free-for-all haha.

"being dope is always in fashion"

Phonte

For me, music that is interesting and exciting is music that references and draws influence and inspiration from outside its own boundaries... how can anything "new" happen otherwise?

Like nenopro says, if you got this rough idea of what you want to achieve, just get started. Could be a specific sound or a genre, or emotion, or an experiment. I like the fusion of what I wanted to make at first and what I discover and incorporate during the production process.

It's simple.
If you want to make a specific style you need to now where you want to go.
If you don't you can have fun and go as mad as you want. You don't have to release everything you make either.

When I started out with producing I was just making collages of the weirdest noises and soundscapes, lil recordings timestretched to death. Too bad its all gone

My suggestion is to be able to do both. If you're working with someone looking for something specific, you want the ability to deliver on that sound. Other times starting with no preconceived ideas can be fruitful.

Back