Do BOOM BAP tracks usually have 808 kicks or just deep basslines?

Stevethaboss

Ive been listening to like old school type beats from alchemist to j dilla to starik selektah.. Ive also started creating beats that sound somewhat similar with samples.. I usually check my mixes in the car and all of beats have like a really short bass sound each time they hit and it sounds awful. Other producers have like long kicks and I can't tell if the sound is just a bassline or 808 in the car bc it sounds and hits like an 808.. For example 47 goons and trap door by Joey Bada$$.. Thanks

Deep basslines. They run a filter on the sample so the bass is isolated and raise it. Hope I helped!

Thx!! But what do you mean raise up? And what type of filters..? low pass? Thanks again haha. I'm running fl studio btw

I think he means the pitch is increased, so raised in the range of frequency? If the bass line was in a low frequency range then you use a low pass. but you could need a band filter depending on where it falls in the range of frequency.

The question about the kick is difficult to answer because "vintage" sounding kicks usually means "the way they sound when they are overdriven or distorting." People add distortion to kicks in order to make them sound like you're listening to an old cassette tape. When you listen to old Premier mix tapes, the kicks sound slightly distorted compared to the original LP. It became part of the "old school" aesthetic, I claim.

Last edited:
Back