Dj Khalil drums

joey tunez

Subliminalz Music Team
i was listening to a few khalil tracks and have noticed that all his drums sound like they are from freaking space!
especially his kicks.
i know he uses reason and understand that there are probably a few effects on those drums as far as distortion so i am thinking the scream feature is being used but i am not sure how. i have tried a few things and so far no luck.

so i am looking for either one of two things.

either
A) a technique that will help me acheive this sound (look at song b#$!ches on my d@## for an example of what i mean on the kick and snare)
or
B) a khalil drum kit, but honestly i would be looking to learn the technique so i can craft other drums in the future.

you know, its been so long i haven't listen to any of those drums once i got into the "swipe it off a record" point with the nnxt.

are they like that with the effects already thrown on them?
I figured the actual drums would be something like really basic (such as being in the factory list)
but i don't know how he did the effects.

and yes khalil is a beast, he is probably the soul reason why reason users don't get the stigma fruity loopers do.

when people start trying to diss reason all you gotta do is be like "khalil uses it!"

allways when i make Beat .. i think about khalil (no homo) he uses Scream a lot yeah

I love khalils drums. SPecially FOOTSTEPS on the clipse album

with kicks and snares (not 808 bass kicks but real sampled from a drum kit kicks and snares) put a scream on them, go to the spot where it has the deafult patch on scream,
then go to where it says instrument tweaks
go to acid (its the first choice) your drums will sound waaaaaay too distorted. set it on tube or tape or even fuzz (to taste of course)
turn down the damage control (its propellerheads cute way of saying intensity) do this also to taste, i go down to the point where its about the 30% but thats just me. i like to hear a bit of the real drum on there as well.
you may also want to add just a dash of reverb (use the small reverb not the big purple one as those settings are too "day and nite"[/cuddi]"
your drums will sound like they're from space!

Listen to fabolous Never let it go!!prod by khalil!! He probably put a scream n a reverb! But i dont think its the acid preset tho! The acid preset doesnt give you this "space" sound on the drums !

even when rakhi do it, khalil got the "space" effect to his drums!! well, he the only one who know how he does this

SMH. One day when I land something big, you'll all wonder how I make my drums.

Yes, some are played live. Yes some are straight stock out of Reason. Yes some are aquired from a hundred different places, but what is this "space" you guys speak of? They're just drums. As dope as Khalil's beats are, no "secret" to the drums.

^^Yo, he has a secret with his kicks!! i gave you a track to listen Fabolous-never let it go, go listen to that kick and come back here!!or listen to the clipse Footsteps, or even There was a murda!! like itt or not but the kick on those songs sound like no other kick, its not even the kick, its the effect on it

Why do people on this forum always wanna talk like they re quincy jones or something!?

mess around with the Scream 4 distortion effect like Joey said and the most stock sounding drums sound crazy...

instead of continuing to question, just go and try it...

but I feel you, I quit coming to this site a while ago cause there are some seriously arrogant individuals on here...between the big heads and fools who can't spell and ask the same damn questions over and over, there is some good stuff to be found here I think...

Back