Difference in swing quantization settings.

Tenova

Hello all,

What is your opinion of the built in swing settings in either Ableton or Logic? I've been swinging my drums (I make House) in using the MPC setting of Ableton's built in quantize option, but I've heard from a few people that these settings are suboptimal compared to some third party options.

My question is, what third party options exist and what (in your eyes) is the best option for swinging sampled drums in Ableton? I make Deep/Jackin House so the MPC is usually my favorite.

Is there a VST? Additional quantization settings that can be downloaded elsewhere?

Thanks,
-Tom

Did any of those few people care to elaborate why those settings would be "sub optimal"? Since you can edit the existing grooves (either by the parameters or the actual file by applying, tweaking & re-saving as a new groove), I doubt the whole of Live's groove system sucks all the way. You could also try extracting new grooves from something that has the swing you want and see how that pans out. And while I haven't looked for any, the groove pool files have their own filetype, so I'm betting there are some of those out there, probably in some Live Packs at least.

Great answer, thank you. Yeah I'm honestly not sure why but I've heard a few seasoned producers say the same thing. No clue why. I'll look around and report back with what I find.

I have a feeling that "them" saying it's sub-optimal probably means "it doesn't sound exactly like an MPC" or something along the lines of that - but there are so many variables (like, say, a sample with a few milliseconds of silence in the beginning could throw off the feel) there that could cause it to sound a bit different that it's hard to say why they're saying that. Groove settings are still just moving notes around in a certain fashion, which shouldn't theoretically be very hard to replicate. The MPC models usually associated with "great swing" - the 60 & 3000 - didn't do anything special, they just had really tight timing (this coming from Roger Linn himself).

Back