Creating Better Songs with better VSTs

IrishEyes

I have been writing songs for a couple years. I have had success with the online collaboration forum, Kompoz, however, I seek to continue to learn and grow and create better music myself before I seek other artists to help.

I love writing lyrics and creating vocal melodies. I have recently studied music theory, composition and the overall song structure. Now, I want to make more realistic rock music with my DAW. I play a little acoustic guitar and that is it, so I am primarily trying to create with my DAW.

I bought an acoustic guitar VST from Ample Sounds, and it gives me realistic sounding up and down strums that can do an interesting strum pattern. I have been looking at the Ministry of Rock package of sounds from EastWest sounds, to try to create something closer to the Radiohead and grunge stuff that is my preference.

First of all, I would like any advice on how to do this more effectively. Second, it is not clear to me how to accept a large GB sound bank with my limited hard drive space. I do not have enough space for the MOR package, and I am wondering if there is a more effective way to manage my setup. For instance, can you play VSTs off an external hard drive and avoid loading stuff on my MacBook laptop.

I have lots more questions, but that is a good start. Thanks.

I think you might be overthinking this.

1. Get an external HDD.
2. Find a nice sounding VST for each instrument you want to have in "your DAW band". (Install large sample libraries to the external HDD, this is normal.)
3. Make the music!

Back