Counterpoint

Nope, I don't know anything about chord sequences or secondary dominants...

Can you recommend a good book?

"Tonal Theory" by Stefan Kostka and Dorothy Payne (published by McGraw Hill) is the book that I used in college... but it's a textbook. For me it told me what I needed to know in a pretty straightforward way... there's a workbook that come with it... I don't know how much luck you would have finding it, since it's a textbook.

Umm... maybe you could find it used or especially an old version... "outdated" textbooks are pretty much useless to college students, because it isn't the same version as they use in class, but the information is about the same... they just update textbooks to force people to buy new ones so the can make money.

Good luck.

I'd be interested in what you came up with for a trance sonata (first movement) if you got around to it... just to see how it was done... that'd be cool.

Agreed. It'd be really cool to a have a large scale trance work. IMO I would call it a trance symphony (written in sonata-allergo form, of course). If I remember correctly Sonata is an Italian word for a song to be played (and mostly by one instrument - The Piano. Whereas Violin, cello... sonatas have the piano playing along as well).

peace.

Last edited by a moderator:
ahhh... this is becoming a music history session too!!!

Yeah... sonata in Italian just means a piece that is played on an instrument... as opposed to cantata which is something that is sung... or at least that was the original meaning of the words in music... but now they are distinct forms in their own right...

I don't know, I'm just fascinated lately with the idea of mixing classical ideas (not necessarily from the "Classical" period) with electronic music... I don't know why, but that would be... cool! jeezus...

well, anyway azzurro... let us know what you come up with... and I'll keep you posted as to my developments too... good luck with your sonata.

i used to play something around on lets say c4...copy the whole thing, move it on a second track to c3, apply LFO to both and adjust LFOS over some time in a different way...thats how all gets very interesting, is it called counterpart,2?
grtx

I don't know, I'm just fascinated lately with the idea of mixing classical ideas (not necessarily from the "Classical" period) with electronic music... I don't know why, but that would be... cool! jeezus...

William Orbit - Barber's Adagio For String
Aria - Dido

two great "classical trance" that i know of. There are Fur elise and Beethoven's 9th symphony techno versions out there... and they're very crappy!
:cool:

hey

This seems to be a dance music oriented thread... but ill post anyway... Not that i don't like dance music on occasion, I just spend my time on hip hop...

Anyway, I think that my music is somewhat representative of the classical/electronic hybrid that you've been discussing... I hate using synths, so lately I've been starting out on beats by sampling sections of classical music from vinyl and remixing it into hip hop beats:

http://artists.mp3s.com/artists/283/dj_aptitude.html

Of my material at my website, all the beats were sampled from classical tunes.
"the essence of time" and "freez frame" being the most interesting, in my opinion

anyway... take a look at some of this and let me know if it inspires you...

peace
---
aptitude

So, could one call a piece of music that is played on an instrument AND sung by a male vocalist a Frank Sonata? :D

djbaniak said:
"Tonal Theory" by Stefan Kostka and Dorothy Payne (published by McGraw Hill) is the book that I used in college... but it's a textbook. For me it told me what I needed to know in a pretty straightforward way... there's a workbook that come with it... I don't know how much luck you would have finding it, since it's a textbook.

Umm... maybe you could find it used or especially an old version... "outdated" textbooks are pretty much useless to college students, because it isn't the same version as they use in class, but the information is about the same... they just update textbooks to force people to buy new ones so the can make money.

Good luck.

Thanks, I'll look into getting that text book.

Back