composing help.

fluxtah said:
Kool and with piano experience it makes more sense to get cubase, rather than a loop based sequencer like acid,
Not sure if I agree with this approach. Currently I use ACID for my sequencing. I record LIVE play off my CS2x or JV-1080 into ACID. I then edit the sample I just recorded using Sound Forge to tighty up lose ends and tweak the sample with the special effects provided if necessary. Next thing you know, I'm on my way to my next BIG track:) Check out my song, 'If You Only Knew (Movie Theme)', http://www.mp3.com/djpbh

I recorded all synth/piano sounds LIVE through my CS2x. Drum beats(3) were pre-recorded samples from my DANCE expansion card that's installed in my JV-1080.

Basically, this is how I go about creating a track. Let me know what you!!

Thanks,

OK so you are working 100% audio right?

What he meant by cubase was that its MIDI sequencing, which lets you edit each note separately.. Its MIDI what else can I say ;)

What you describe is good if you like to record and sequence audio, direct to disk, etc, directly without sequencing.

MIDI sequencing is sometimes very important.

Yes, I do record in 100% audio. The reason for this is that trying to get Cakewalk and my Roland JV-1080 to communicate is like trying to get my wife to understand that I really need a new sampler:) I just have the darnest time trying to get synth hardware to communicate throughly through MIDI. Maybe you could give me a lesson or two:)

The great thing about using MIDI in, say Cubase or Cakewalk is that you have the power to edit each note as to the method that I describe earlier, once you record the sample, if it isn't perfect your gonna have to re-record again and again until you get it right.

Learn to use sequencers. Software of course!

Learn to program synthesizers.

It is vital for any electronic synth producer to know how to make sounds. Get some soft synths to learn all the stuff.

Cubase VST is maybe all that you need. You can sequence, record, mix with it. You can plug in many VST instruments: Samplers, Drum modules, Synhts, Wavetable players...

Check out also Reason by Propellerheads! :)

It may be all that you need!

Listen to the kind of music you like to do. Analize, write it down to paper, draw graphix how the energy flows over time, dance to it and MOST important: if it starts to feel boring it is BORING! :) Time for change. Add something new, or remove or... what ever to keep the attention of the raver/listener :)

Igot-T I second what you just said. If anyoen still needs help, do not hesitate to ask any question about thsoe software or hardware.

See you around

You can buy all the equipment in the world you want... but unless you have the music in your head... unless there's something inside that you have to bring out through music, then nothing will ever sound right. I've found that the best music I've ever come up with has (taken a lot of time) come straight from my soul... emotions... all that goop. I dunno.. .i just think of music as an expression of the soul much more advanced than words. Maybe this is why i like this type of music (electronic genre) so much...

Good luck with it all... writing music is a giant monster that you can either work with and great things will happen... or he'll eat you.

Happy sequencing
~Syren

Back