composing help.

D

Dj Mush

Hi,
i'm trying to figure out how to compose my own trance or rave music, i have a good ear for music, and have experience with piano and drums, what other skills will i need and more importantly what equipment should i get... i have to say i'm kinda scared off turntables
thx all.
peace

Actually.. you don't compose trance with turntables (as far as writing notes etc..)

Learn how to use Cubase VST 5 or another sequencer, and control MIDI devices from there. MIDI devices can be your soundcard soundbank at first, and then a real synthesizer or a sound module, or even some software synthesizers.

You have experience with Piano? great, then you know the notes, buy a MIDI controller (Roland PC300 for a few hundred dollars and you are good to go) to control "live" your MIDI devices through your sequencer and record what you play.

THere will be some "getting started" articles soon on this site, about sequencing, creating a patch on a synthesizer, mixing etc..

GOod luck

thx manone

u helped a great career get started.
thx,
peace and hope to gain advice and share in the future

Advise:

Listen to ALOT of trance music all the time to figure out wich type of melody-lines that rox and wich ones can be connected.

In trance-music we run the same old themes over and over again --- with a twist.
Listen to some music and go humming over some great idea you have. Then record the idea as fast as you can!

I'm gonna post some tutorials one the free digital composer "Buzz" you migth want to read them.

As always: Check out my music at mp3.com and mail me with comments. It's all made with buzz and a cheap MIDI-controller / syntheziser with wich I do the actual mixing.

Yes DJMush,

Listen to a lot of music, not only Trance but a lot of different styles, analyse how the track is builded, how it was mixed, sounds used...it's the best way to learn !
Try to develop your own style, experiment a lot and a lot, take time to perfect your mixes...
and finally...read your softs and hardwares manuals ! ;)

Be Patient! Patient, Patient, Patient, Patient, Patient, Patient, Patient, Patient, Patient, Patient, Patient, Patient, Patient, Patient, Patient, Patient, Patient, Patient, Patient, Patient, Patient, Patient, Patient, Patient, Patient, Patient, Patient, Patient, Patient, Patient, Patient, Patient, Patient, Patient, Patient, Patient, Patient, Patient, Patient, Patient, Patient, Patient, Patient, Patient, Patient, Patient, Patient, Patient, Patient, Patient, Patient, Patient, Patient, Patient and more Patient!
Also, don't forget to be:
Patient, Patient, Patient, Patient, Patient, Patient, Patient, Patient, Patient, Patient, Patient, Patient, Patient, Patient, Patient, Patient, Patient, Patient, Patient, Patient, Patient, Patient, Patient, Patient, Patient, Patient, Patient, Patient, Patient, Patient, Patient, Patient, Patient, Patient, Patient, Patient, Patient, Patient, Patient, Patient, and more patient, even more patient and a little more, and a little more patient, and a little more patient, and a little more patient, and a little more patient, and a little more patient, and a little more patient, and a little more patient.
And last: Be Patient!

Did you get it this time nook? :D

There's also a short version!

Attachments

• psycho g cover small.png
    psycho g cover small.png
    248.1 KB · Views: 0
Dj Mush wants to learn how to compose trance and rave music.
Hope we didn't scare him away!

[Edited by Dj Chriss on 10-03-2000 at 01:37 PM]

no it'll take more to scare me away from trance... i really do love it.. i'm trying all the sequencers but i can never get the nuances of them,.. like i'll try one and get pretty good at it but then i'll notice a fault... most commonly i'll write a part for one instrument (like acoustic piano) then i can't figure out how to add a drum part at the same time... what do i have to do?
thx for the advice so far.. i'm starting to get into it.

... as an answer to the question you just asked: you have to add another TRACK, choose another MIDI channel and device (devices are synthesizers), and write another line of notes.

I think you should buy a cheap synthesizer (second hand) like the CS2X YAMAHA or something similar, control it from your computer with MIDI, and write your trance tracks in Cubase or Cakewalk. It is not too hard to set this up, and you get a better sound than the software synthesizer, for a few hundred dollars.

Have a look at the steinberg website, I think they still sell a light version of cubase (cubasis...I think), it's cheap and great for a beginning and you can still upgrade later.

Hi´. Back again.

Dj Mush. For now, try to download Buzz at:
http://www.buzztrack.com
My first tutorial should be ready tomorrow (monday 9/oct/00) , and the rest will follow shortly after because I've written so broad.

F.i.: I'm almost done with the VST part, but that will first come up in the second or third tutorial.

My ( At least I think,) cool tips and tricks will first be in the third tutorial or in the fourth as a stand alone thingie.
These will surely increase your chance of getting a good sound out of Buzz, but It'll demand that you've practiced a bit on the general stuff.

I want you to know that it isn't much fun in the beginning, but in the end, you'll have a great time using it and you'll see that the possibility's are endless.

[Edited by Dj Chriss on 10-07-2000 at 07:05 PM]

Kool , I agree Cubase would be the best bet, and with piano experience it makes more sense to get cubase, rather than a loop based sequencer like acid,

hey though still!!!!! check this for a cool sequencer to get started with http://www.dreamstation.de free trial too :)

Back