classical music...

chiragkotak

hi..
i've been trying to make some classical music using general midi...
i often get stuck...cant move foward with an idea...
i was just wondering if anyone has any ideas and some basics about composing classical music...things like scale changes...timing changes..how to start a composition and any such suggestions about the basics of composing classical music...

thanks

my best advice is to listen to as much music as you can and check out the scores to all the music you like.
other than that, it's hard to give advice on what to do.

a basic thing to go on is come up with a simple musical idea (aka a motive) and see how many ways you can expand it. and play it (or sequence it) and keep what you like, get rid of what you don't.

Ah yes, the old "Having trouble developing my ideas" syndrome.

Basically, you need to study Harmony and Counterpoint. This is the very foundation on what music is based - without this knowlage you can pretty much forget about classical music.

You also need to listen and read lots and lots of music scores of all periods of music and learn the history as well as the historical developments in notation, form and style.

Basically it seems you are lacking too much knowlage to tackle classical composition right now, being able to develop your ideas from a tiny little motif into a 15 minute work or whatever is not something that can be picked up by reading Future Music and mucking around with Reaktor. It requires reading read heavy-duty books and scores, lots of listening, a hell of a lot of passion and knowlage and, well, a lot of years to develop your compositional voice.

Sorry if this wasn't the advice you're looking for, but hope it's helpful :)

That question is very hard to answer... I might be able to give you a suggestion on a place you got stuck at, but just overall how to compose classical music is very difficult to answer.

You HAVE TO KNOW HOW TO PLAY AN INSTRUMENT, (piano preferably) harmony, theory behind the instruments, etc. If you know how to do that, then make little piece for piano about 8 bars, and then orchestrate it with strings bass etc. Then work from there.....

People go to a lot of school for this, so dont think you will shock the world from your first composition.... Good luck

That all depends on what style you are going to write. Most of the Major Classical Works are made up of what's called Rule of thumb harmony, it wasn't until after Debussy that those rules were stretched and broken^_*
I just got done composing some classical music. As for ideas it doesn't take much for music, since music is made up of little formulas(latin for small forms) Really though if you get stuck with music, just play and hear the music in your head then work it out then write what you hear that's what I do. In your head you can go over and over and fix and redoo infinite times till you decide on you hear is what you want. But it really depends on the style you writing. What is popular now for classical music is Advent Gaurde, Minilism, some Atonalism, and Jazz Arrangement to Orchestra. Basically people try and do so many new things with music, so classicalism is some stretched out style...Jazz is really more popular ok insanely more popular. Do a Debussy sort of style that is still pretty popular; ie, writing music to create colors of sounds with in instruments in any ensamble.

Well my friend, the world you are about to enter is the mother and father of all music, so you cannot screw it up..!

As far as my knowledge goes on classical music, I can only give you three tips on that one...

- Use only natural instruments, no effects what so ever.

- Try to compose the music as it were a story. Listen to classical particles with your eyes closed and try to imagine what happens in the story, it can and will be interesting but..., take your time!!

- Don't be afraid to try things. Use different BPM's during the particle, go from loud volume to soft volume and try to make those thing collaborate with each other.

But watch out if you go into this: other music can become boring and simple to create for you..

Back