Chords sound awkward after not listening to them for a while

RuSty1

I've just started a new song and I've already created the lead sound and processed it and everything. I've written the chords and I really like them, I think it sounds great. Then I went to study for like 3 hours and came back to listen to my project and they sounded a bit awkward at first but after listening to it a couple times they only sounded ok. Why is this happening? Are the chords I'm writing really bad? Any way to fix this or is it just me that will hear them awkwardly?

Hard to say if they're right or wrong but it's pretty normal that you come back to a piece of music you thought was amazing before and now it sounds awful. I don't think there's any definite method to find out whether it actually is or not other than to keep at it – sometimes it might just suck, but it's not impossible that you're just onto some new thing that's so far out of your comfort zone that it sounds weird at first.

insistence happens when you listen to something a lot that you start to like it or you don't hear anything wrong in it. it happens a lot that's why the First Listening after a while is very important and gives a more neutral judgement. doesn't mean your chords are shit though, lol.

but as the mod above me said:
it's pretty normal that you come back to a piece of music you thought was amazing before and now it sounds awful

Last edited:
OK so yesterday I decided I didn't like the chords so I tried re writing them. After awhile I decided the old ones where better so I reverted back to them. Then when I woke up this morning I listened to them and they were fine. Dunno whats happening lol. Is it possible I listened to them too much and got sick of them for that period of time?

I think it is totally normal that you hate something tomorrow that you like today. If I work too long on a detail I totally lose judgement. Typically the first impressions after a break is what I go with.

If something takes too long, a bassdrum, chords, melody or whole project - I will just throw it away. I just lose too much time fiddling around with no result in the end. This really helps me put out more and better stuff.

if you work on a song for too long you tend to get too comfortable with stuff because your ears get tired. a break is always recommended, id wait at least a day and if things sound bad either try fix it or start something fresh.

Back