***Chords and scales commonly used in hip-hop and R&B?***

GreenBurn

For example, pentatonic scales evoke an Oriental feel and are often used in Asian music. Which types of chords and scales are commonly used in R&B and even hip-hop (if any are common). I was told 7ths and 9ths for R&B are common.

For example, the sad sounding piano throughout Marques Houston's Circle is a great example of chords/scales used in R&B...does anyone know any that were used in this song?

Yo, Great question I've wondered myself. R&B is alot of minor chords. 7ths, 9's, b11's, #11s, even 13ths. Funk and disco is alot of dominant 7ths, b9ths, #9ths, 11ths, 13ths. Hip Hop takes from those, and anything else. If I gotta guess doe, Id say its dominated by the dominants. Ala Primo, Dre, Blaze, they get to the point wit it. But, then also they got the laid back joints also, usually signaling minor. Not really an answer. Hope it triggers something for u tho. One.

mostly just minor chords and variations built around 7th chords as far as i know, at least that's what gives the "r&b" sound...hip hop on the other hand takes from everything, west coast is more funk, east coast is more jazzy, south is a lot of finger melodies but is mostly in minor keys

For example, pentatonic scales evoke an Oriental feel and are often used in Asian music. Which types of chords and scales are commonly used in R&B and even hip-hop (if any are common). I was told 7ths and 9ths for R&B are common.

For example, the sad sounding piano throughout Marques Houston's Circle is a great example of chords/scales used in R&B...does anyone know any that were used in this song?
I've read that 7ths is the most commonm used in R&B / Hip Hop, many many of them use the 12 Bar Blues Chord Progression which consists of pure 7ths, but not always. I use all types of chords depending on what I want the song to feel like.....sad, happy, sinister...Etc. Whenever I hear a song and I want to know the Chord Progression I look up the Guitar Tabs which show the chords.

I i i i iv iv i i v iv i i

Edit: oh **** this. It´s automatically changing those to lowercase. Just imagine those are all major chords.

Edit edit: Also, add a 7th to any and all of those, if you feel like it.

Last edited:
what everyone said here is right. Although you can argue that hip hop can be an ything. You really can make hiphop with any chords if you at least know how to make it sound sound "hiphop".

Back