chord progressions used in these genre's?

R

rurokenji

Hi guys,

Does anyone know any particular chord progressions for the following genre's; r&b, hip hop , neo soul, deep house and uk garage (old school such as artful dodger/craig david and also future garage). From my understanding, so far i think 3 of the above genre's use jazz chords or 7ths?

If anyone could help me out, that would be great!

Thanks!

Genres never have a particular chord progression. Just write whatever you want! However, those genres never tend to have "dark" chord progressions, meaning anything that sounds "evil."

R&B will use jazz chords, hip hop doesn't have to but it can, neo soul sounds like it certainly does, and deep house and uk garage don't have anything in particular. Deep house will use 7ths in the drop if you want a chord over your bass like Nitro Fun's remix of The Munsta by SCNDL, but not always.

With any of these genres, you can write any chords you want. 1,3,5,7,9,11,13 if you so pleased. It's all the producers choice in the end, but following some of the existing ideas of the genres can help.

Hey bandcoach,

Thanks for the reply. It's weird looking back at all my previous posts. Tbh, i never really did understand chord progressions back then but now i do. Thanks for all the help, back then. So much resources in those links!

Genres never have a particular chord progression. Just write whatever you want! However, those genres never tend to have "dark" chord progressions, meaning anything that sounds "evil."

R&B will use jazz chords, hip hop doesn't have to but it can, neo soul sounds like it certainly does, and deep house and uk garage don't have anything in particular. Deep house will use 7ths in the drop if you want a chord over your bass like Nitro Fun's remix of The Munsta by SCNDL, but not always.

With any of these genres, you can write any chords you want. 1,3,5,7,9,11,13 if you so pleased. It's all the producers choice in the end, but following some of the existing ideas of the genres can help.

Ah, it's because i read soemthing where about trap usiing "darl/evill2 sounding chords. Ah, so hip hop can use any chord progressions (mostly likely in minor). And for deep house, will it be weird if i use the 7ths/normal chords or whatever throughout the whole song or does it just have to be during the drop?

Hey bandcoach does that nujabes offer still apply? if so these three please and thank you.

learn blues and jazz and soul you have the knowledge those styles derive from...

arguably deep house has fewer chord changes... soulful house has repeated chord progressions...

with most styles you can learn the common changes used and have a good foundation for approaching what you want to do...

nujabes stuff is cool... new to me.

Back