Chilled out, Lo/Glo-fi type sounds?

McSlothin

I've been losing motivation fast lately. It's mainly because I just can't get the sounds I want, which makes me not be able to get the melodies/tracks I want. It's extremely frustrating

Some of the sounds I'm looking to make are things like 'Moments' by Giraffage

The only non-stock plug in I have in FL is Massive. And something called TAL U no62 that I downloaded a while back for this very reason. It seems like every sound I make in attempt to produce something that sounds good sounds "distant".
A lot of the times I use a cut off filter, or just a filter in general, low and usually sin waves when I can. But it all sounds like it's in the other room with the door closed, which is what I mean by distant.
They're all very deep, I would love to be able to make bright, lo-fi, chilled out type sounds. Any tips or advice, or presets you've made?

Made a thread indirectly about this and never really got an answer.. would also like to know. And Tal U no62 is kuul, but Diva blows it out the water. Try using Saw waves instead of sines for pads

Made a thread indirectly about this and never really got an answer.. would also like to know. And Tal U no62 is kuul, but Diva blows it out the water. Try using Saw waves instead of sines for pads

Go check out Theflipsideforum. Posted this exact thread and got numerous responses. All extremely helpful. The community is extremely nice also.

When I can use multiple oscillators I use a saw as the main osc. and a sin to give a lower end and more "full".

Anyway, go to the Sound Design page on Flipside and check it out. Even if you do'nt use FL they can still be very helpful

It sounds like they are sampling heavily. What part are you talking about ? That guitar sound around :58 sounds like a Minus The Bear sample. LOL. This sounds like a bunch of sampled sounds for sure.

It sounds like they are sampling heavily. What part are you talking about ? That guitar sound around :58 sounds like a Minus The Bear sample. LOL. This sounds like a bunch of sampled sounds for sure.

Didn't answer his question at all. I imagine he's aware that there is heavy sampling going on...obviously the artist didn't sample a bunch of riffs, put them together and automatically sound great..Girrafage is using alot of other effect processing.

anyways, try not to make every sound/synth have a filter/reverb/sine waves. have a lead that really stands out and try to focus on not using as much processes that make it sound distant like you said. i.e., synth 1 and synth 2 are mainly sine and have an echo or reverb, but sine 3 isn't as much effected by these droning effects. This will piece the pieces together and make it sound less "airy" or distant like you said.

ive talked to giraffage before (he used to go under the name robot science) and he uses some Tweakbench VST's as well as massive and zeta+ and zeta+ 2 you should try those out, remember sound design within the vst is only half the design, theres always things you can add on the mixer.

Back