Can you guys help me? Syntorial to Massive button conversion

MilDlrDime

Chrap-a-holic
I'm learning sound design through syntorial and I can do some basic sounds, but transitioning to massive and trying to do them is a different deal. Just needing some help to get this figured out.

Here's the picture I have so far.
25BqA47.jpg

I know the envelopes are the Env on massive, but if it's a dial on syntorial how does that work with massive since they use ADSR?

Same goes for the dials with the cutoff but having an attack / release under it? And lastly, the amp envelope... I see the amp on massive, so is that the same thing with an envelope used as the Attack / Release?

Last edited by a moderator:
First things first - you're correlating the PW (Pulse Width) knob in Syntorial to the Intensity knob in Massive, but they're not the same thing - basically there isn't a basic PW knob in Massive (it's a wavetable synth), and the Intensity knob isn't a standard synth control; it does different things based on the mode selected in the dropdown above it.

And regarding envelopes - they're more or less the same thing regardless of what kind of controls are used to adjust them. Massive uses a visual representation, because the envelopes in there can get a lot more complex than your standard A to D to S to R. Here's an image of a basic ADSR env:

TtymrNd.jpg

Now, when you're adjusting, say the Attack of an envelope in Syntorial, what it does is it controls the distance between the starting point to D; Decay controls the distance from D to S; Sustain is slightly different because it controls the level of the sustain instead of time (because the length is controlled by how long the note is held), so it's the vertical distance (in visual terms) from the baseline to the sustain level and finally R is the distance from the end of the sustain phase to the end of the envelope (the release part happens after the note ends - when you let go of the key).

The envelopes in Syntorial are hardwired - which is a hardware term, but basically it just means that they're fixed to control one parameter of the synth. In the case of the filter, there's just a simple AR (Attack & Release) envelope - it works just like ADSR, but with the two phases in the middle taken out. In Massive, the envelopes are freely assignable to whichever parameter you want, which is why they're in their own place in the interface.

I know the envelopes are the Env on massive, but if it's a dial on syntorial how does that work with massive since they use ADSR?

Same goes for the dials with the cutoff but having an attack / release under it? And lastly, the amp envelope... I see the amp on massive, so is that the same thing with an envelope used as the Attack / Release?

I think later in syntorial you get two more controls for the amp envelope- sustain and release. Once you have those, you'll have a full ADSR envelope which matches the massive one. If you don't want to use the sustain or release on massive just yet, you can turn them all the way down.

The same applies to the filter envelope: later you will get attack, decay, sustain and release controls for that envelope too.

The envelopes in massive are not hardwired to amp and filter: if you want a filter env in massive, you have to drag and drop the envelope onto the filter cutoff control and then go from there.

Last edited:
I think later in syntorial you get two more controls for the amp envelope- sustain and release. Once you have those, you'll have a full ADSR envelope which matches the massive one. If you don't want to use the sustain or release on massive just yet, you can turn them all the way down.

Oh, didn't know how Syntorial works. Makes sense to start out simple! :)

First things first - you're correlating the PW (Pulse Width) knob in Syntorial to the Intensity knob in Massive, but they're not the same thing - basically there isn't a basic PW knob in Massive (it's a wavetable synth), and the Intensity knob isn't a standard synth control; it does different things based on the mode selected in the dropdown above it.

Well the reason I put it there is because I figured that's where pulse width would be if I picked pulse-saw as the oscillator.

Ah okay guys, I got it now! Thanks. The amp envelope is just the ADSR in the massive's 4 env... wow! Hah

Last edited:
Well the reason I put it there is because I figured that's where pulse width would be if I picked pulse-saw as the oscillator.

You're right about that. If you select Pulse-Saw PWM under the VA column, set the Intensity (which is now labelled Pulse Width) to the Noon position, and the Pls-Saw Pos knob to the far left, you'll get a square wave. Turn the Pulse Width knob in either direction and you'll make the pulse wave thinner.

I'm thinking about doing a Massive extension pack some time next year. It's one item on a rather lengthy to-do list.

Back