Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Can you guys help me? Syntorial to Massive button conversion

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Kansas
    Posts
    138
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 84 Times in 10 Posts

    Can you guys help me? Syntorial to Massive button conversion

    Sign in to disable this ad
    I'm learning sound design through syntorial and I can do some basic sounds, but transitioning to massive and trying to do them is a different deal. Just needing some help to get this figured out.

    Here's the picture I have so far.

    I know the envelopes are the Env on massive, but if it's a dial on syntorial how does that work with massive since they use ADSR?

    Same goes for the dials with the cutoff but having an attack / release under it? And lastly, the amp envelope... I see the amp on massive, so is that the same thing with an envelope used as the Attack / Release?
    Last edited by bandcoach; 11-04-2014 at 02:11 AM. Reason: cannot read white in the white grey theme
    SOUNDCLOUD // GOT TRILLIONS
    Trap Promotion Blog ➚

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    helsinki, finland
    Posts
    19,946
    Thanks
    7
    Thanked 339 Times in 311 Posts
    First things first - you're correlating the PW (Pulse Width) knob in Syntorial to the Intensity knob in Massive, but they're not the same thing - basically there isn't a basic PW knob in Massive (it's a wavetable synth), and the Intensity knob isn't a standard synth control; it does different things based on the mode selected in the dropdown above it.

    And regarding envelopes - they're more or less the same thing regardless of what kind of controls are used to adjust them. Massive uses a visual representation, because the envelopes in there can get a lot more complex than your standard A to D to S to R. Here's an image of a basic ADSR env:



    Now, when you're adjusting, say the Attack of an envelope in Syntorial, what it does is it controls the distance between the starting point to D; Decay controls the distance from D to S; Sustain is slightly different because it controls the level of the sustain instead of time (because the length is controlled by how long the note is held), so it's the vertical distance (in visual terms) from the baseline to the sustain level and finally R is the distance from the end of the sustain phase to the end of the envelope (the release part happens after the note ends - when you let go of the key).

    The envelopes in Syntorial are hardwired - which is a hardware term, but basically it just means that they're fixed to control one parameter of the synth. In the case of the filter, there's just a simple AR (Attack & Release) envelope - it works just like ADSR, but with the two phases in the middle taken out. In Massive, the envelopes are freely assignable to whichever parameter you want, which is why they're in their own place in the interface.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    1,373
    Thanks
    16
    Thanked 137 Times in 125 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MilDlrDime View Post

    I know the envelopes are the Env on massive, but if it's a dial on syntorial how does that work with massive since they use ADSR?

    Same goes for the dials with the cutoff but having an attack / release under it? And lastly, the amp envelope... I see the amp on massive, so is that the same thing with an envelope used as the Attack / Release?
    I think later in syntorial you get two more controls for the amp envelope- sustain and release. Once you have those, you'll have a full ADSR envelope which matches the massive one. If you don't want to use the sustain or release on massive just yet, you can turn them all the way down.

    The same applies to the filter envelope: later you will get attack, decay, sustain and release controls for that envelope too.

    The envelopes in massive are not hardwired to amp and filter: if you want a filter env in massive, you have to drag and drop the envelope onto the filter cutoff control and then go from there.
    Last edited by scrapheaper; 11-04-2014 at 02:48 AM.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    974
    Thanks
    13
    Thanked 49 Times in 37 Posts
    this is awesome
    Last edited by Yumid; 11-04-2014 at 04:15 AM.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    helsinki, finland
    Posts
    19,946
    Thanks
    7
    Thanked 339 Times in 311 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by scrapheaper View Post
    I think later in syntorial you get two more controls for the amp envelope- sustain and release. Once you have those, you'll have a full ADSR envelope which matches the massive one. If you don't want to use the sustain or release on massive just yet, you can turn them all the way down.
    Oh, didn't know how Syntorial works. Makes sense to start out simple!

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Kansas
    Posts
    138
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 84 Times in 10 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by krushing View Post
    First things first - you're correlating the PW (Pulse Width) knob in Syntorial to the Intensity knob in Massive, but they're not the same thing - basically there isn't a basic PW knob in Massive (it's a wavetable synth), and the Intensity knob isn't a standard synth control; it does different things based on the mode selected in the dropdown above it.
    Well the reason I put it there is because I figured that's where pulse width would be if I picked pulse-saw as the oscillator.

    Ah okay guys, I got it now! Thanks. The amp envelope is just the ADSR in the massive's 4 env... wow! Hah
    Last edited by MilDlrDime; 11-04-2014 at 04:49 PM.
    SOUNDCLOUD // GOT TRILLIONS
    Trap Promotion Blog ➚

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    47
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MilDlrDime View Post
    Well the reason I put it there is because I figured that's where pulse width would be if I picked pulse-saw as the oscillator.
    You're right about that. If you select Pulse-Saw PWM under the VA column, set the Intensity (which is now labelled Pulse Width) to the Noon position, and the Pls-Saw Pos knob to the far left, you'll get a square wave. Turn the Pulse Width knob in either direction and you'll make the pulse wave thinner.

    I'm thinking about doing a Massive extension pack some time next year. It's one item on a rather lengthy to-do list.
    Interactive training apps: Beatmaking and Composition http://bit.ly/2OoU99N
    Synthesis http://bit.ly/2LPwD3E

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •