Can someone explain me the basic theory and construction of glitch hop?

SirXandor

I've been wanting to make a glitch hop song for quite awhile, but I'm not the o sure of the theory and song structure. I know it mostly uses swing, stuttery vocals, & glitched out bassesout basses, but that's about it. Could some one explain how to properly make glitch hop (at least how YOU do it)? Knowing the structure, and theory would be very helpful.

Glitch hop is almost exactly the same as skrillex style dubstep except reece bass is more common than FM growl bass and the semiquavers (16th notes) are swung.

Personally, I don't think that that warrants a different genre, but this is the internet so it's kinda stuck.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info. From what I can tell, glitch hop is set at 110 BPM, and the kick is a swing based pattern.
I figure that's why it's considered it's own genre.

I don't like the idea nowadays thah Glitch Hop has more in common with Brostep and all those styles more than IDM (which it more or less originated from).

Anyway - have a look at the artist Tipper, listen to his EP's, analyze the tracks and get an idea how the common structure goes and so on.

Word on what steffeh wrote, also recommend listening to Opiuo and Koan Sound. Those three along with tipper (as steffeh suggested) IMO are the only guys who are making proper glitch hop these days. However in response to your post, attempting to make a genre you will only make these artists and mimic what they do. Try for your own sound, glitch hop isn't supposed to be smooth, it jerks you around a lot but you can still get down. More of an upbeat dubstep in a way. Don't get too specific on the way it should swing.

Best advice is to use more than one bass, Start with around three different basslines and fuse them together and chop them up. As steffeh said again it is much like IDM only the tracks in glitch hop are a little simpler, less to listen to more basic to dance too. But do not let a genre define your sound

Back