Can anyone give me some guidelines to making this funky FM8 lead/bass

ELLOREME

It sounds to me like an FM8 type sound anyway (i may be wrong), similar to the bass kaytranada uses for a lot of his house songs. Could anyone please help me in the right direction to emulating this sound... would be truly grateful! comes in around the 20sec mark.

This can be done in most synths.

Start with 2 oscillators, 2 saws. I'm not sure, but I think the second saw is a fifth of the first saw.
Add a lowpass with an envelope to it. Use a very short decaytime and medium sustain, and cut down the filter.
Then add a 3rd oscillator, which is a simple sine subbass. Let it be the loudest.

Or you can let the sub be a separate synth if you like to.
Also, you don't have to use 2 saw oscillators, instead you can duplicate the melody and place to a fifth of the original (if it now was a fifth), and just use 1 saw oscillator.

thanks mate really helpful, this is gonna sound a lil stupid maybe but what do you mean by a fifth? is that like five keys up?

Yeah, a fifth is the 5th key up from a key.
But I'm merely guessing it's a fifth, you can try other notes/pitches and see what sounds the best for you.

a 5th is = 7 semitones (black and white keys) and yes the sound is a 5th apart which makes the ratio 3:2

Back