Beyond Major and Minor chords - what scales do they come from?

the_agx

Hi,

After learning maj and min scales and then those chords, there are chords like Dom, Sus, b9m #5, sus2, etc. What scales are these from? How do you know what chords are possible (or better: sound good) when they don't even appear in an any scale? Or do they? is there is a sus scale, a 7b9 scale, etc?

No, there are no scales for those chords and you cannot play those chords on every scale degree. Specific rules to where they fit I dont know of....Would be cool if someone gave a little tip...

You can compare chord formulas to scale formulas:

Sus4 chord is: 1 5 4
Major scale in 3rd steps is: 1 3 5 7 9 11(4) 13(6) (4th becomes the 11th after the 9th . 6th becomes the 13th )
So there is a Csus4 in the C Major scale. How about the Dsus4?
The Major scale formula in steps is: 1 2(9) 3 4 5 6 7
Converting it to the Dorian mode : b7 1 2 b3 4 5 6
So there is a Dsus4 in D Dorian, and also in C Major (C Ionian)
You can also see that Dm (1 b3 5) is a C Major chord, and also: Dm7, Dm9, Dm6, Dm11, and so on.
You can convert to the next mode to see what E chords are in C Major, and so on.
I did this for all chords and scales in the program I developed (signature below) - generates chords from scales, or scales from chords using the math behind it. (each chord and scale is unique, so it helps to know that A natural minor is the 6th mode of C Major, excetera…):cheers:

Last edited:
You can compare chord formulas to scale formulas:

Sus4 chord is: 1 5 4
Major scale in 3rd steps is: 1 3 5 7 9 11(4) 13(6) (4th becomes the 11th after the 9th . 6th becomes the 13th )
So there is a Csus4 in the C Major scale. How about the Dsus4?
The Major scale formula in steps is: 1 2(9) 3 4 5 6 7
Converting it to the Dorian mode : b7 1 2 b3 4 5 6
So there is a Dsus4 in D Dorian, and also in C Major (C Ionian)
You can also see that Dm (1 b3 5) is a C Major chord, and also: Dm7, Dm9, Dm6, Dm11, and so on.
You can convert to the next mode to see what E chords are in C Major, and so on.
I did this for all chords and scales in the program I developed (signature below) - generates chords from scales, or scales from chords using the math behind it. (each chord and scale is unique, so it helps to know that A natural minor is the 6th mode of C Major, excetera…):cheers:
Wow. After about line about Dorian, I started to lose you but I got the point. Man, you know so much that I decided to see your soundclick and get your program (trial). Thanks so much.

Dude. For someone who knows a lot about music, your music (so far, I'm up to Rustle of Pebbles) doesn't draw the listener in. It seems too electronica. It's too concerned with being nonconfirmist art (good though it is!!), than having anying familiar about it, i.e. a steady drum track like most mainstream music. But you didn't ask for a review so, I will keep my mouth shut and be grateful. Thanks.

Thanks for checking me out!

I know what you mean about the music, I have very little time and resources for final productions, so the emphasis is on composition. The first one got a couple of good reviews. Everybody hates the second one - I was experimenting with dissident modulations.

The software update coming soon will be good! See ’Whats New’ page.

I'm always ready to answer questions about it.

I know what you mean about the music, I have very little time and resources for final productions, so the emphasis is on composition. The first one got a couple of good reviews. Everybody hates the second one - I was experimenting with dissident modulations.

Don't try to be too technical. You lose creativeness.

Anyways, you know quite a lot about music theory - which is great!

I know this is rich coming from someone that made the thread "Have you started to sell out in your own eyes?" and I don't think you should produce music that you don't want to, but I do think you are selling yourself short. You aren't letting people "see" your knowledge because its hidden behind this electronica wall.

You should bring your knowledge to the forefront. People can't (well, I couldn't) hear your knowledge of chords in your tracks. From what I remember (see, I've forgotten it overnight) it was spacey, brooding, and not catchy. LIke a psychologist could make a TV ad that spoke to the subconcious, you could do the same to ears. But the electronicaness just switches most ignorants (me) mind to "standby mode". Most people would watch a in-your-face cartoon than see Picasso's paintings if they only had 2 minutes spare.

You get my point?

I know this is rich coming from someone that made the thread "Have you started to sell out in your own eyes?" and I don't think you should produce music that you don't want to, but I do think you are selling yourself short. You aren't letting people "see" your knowledge because its hidden behind this electronica wall.

You should bring your knowledge to the forefront. People can't (well, I couldn't) hear your knowledge of chords in your tracks. From what I remember (see, I've forgotten it overnight) it was spacey, brooding, and not catchy. LIke a psychologist could make a TV ad that spoke to the subconcious, you could do the same to ears. But the electronicaness just switches most ignorants (me) mind to "standby mode". Most people would watch a in-your-face cartoon than see Picasso's paintings if they only had 2 minutes spare.

You get my point?

Yeah man, point well taken. That electronica sound is just the result of what I use now, and the programs output to VST hosts, which is still new to me - the guitar is my native instrument.
And ‘brooding’ hit’s the mark, not only about the music, but how I feel in general, which affects my creativity.
I guess a lot of people are in the same boat as me - the chaotic survival mode, and just waiting and wondering for what bad could happen next.
The music must have been lots better when I was young, cause it felt like magic, and I didn’t have any cares. Now, it may have become my evil-outlet, my reaction. I’ll go work on some of my early music …

Back