Berklee Online Course? Anyone done one?

ShlubDub

I'm thinking of doing an online course (music theory 101) with berklee and wanted to know if anyone on here has done one? What did you think of it? Was it worth the money?

I'd like to hear some feedback before I part with all that cash!

Thank you

I'm thinking of doing an online course (music theory 101) with berklee and wanted to know if anyone on here has done one? What did you think of it? Was it worth the money?

I'd like to hear some feedback before I part with all that cash!

Thank you
I saw the prices for that course, and for me, it wasn't worth it. C'mon, man, isn't there a community college or music store where you live that offers instructions? For the price of one semester of Berklee, you could possibly have two or three semesters of the same course at a local school.
A community college course is muuuuuuuccccchhhhh cheaper, and you get the benefit of networking with classmates and having an accessible instructor communicate with. Hell, why not take piano lessons and learn both simultaneously? That way, you're getting the knowledge + the application of that knowledge.

EDIT: I went back and looked at the price of that course since the last time I looked was in 2010.....LMAO.....$1500? The community college around my way only charges $324 ($81 per credit hour x 4) for Music Theory I. To take all four semesters (you may not need more than two if you aren't a music major) is $1296.00. You could take 30 minutes of piano lessons per week @ $50 a pop (on the really high-end. Where I live, piano courses run $20 for one half-hour lesson a week) and get more for your dough over the long stretch. Hell, you could study Musictheory.net and Teoria.com with Lypur's youtube videos and an Alfred's Adult Piano course book for $20 bucks.

Last edited:
I'm currently enrolled in the Music Business Master Certificate program thru Berklee Online, and so far it is well worth the money. The courses give GREAT case study examples and exercises, and after completing four courses out of seven, I feel as though music business wise, I'm well ahead of my peers in terms of how the industry ACTUALLY works and why labels and artists do what they do to turn a profit in this digital age.

In regards to taking an introductory music theory class, I agree that you can learn what you need to know from the internet and from books, although if you want to specialize in something, I would encourage you to email an advisor and ask more. In addition, the networking opportunities are great as you set up a profile and can conversate with multiple folks around the world. ~BDTeknique

Online class are bout money primarily for the school. U can learn online, but networking and mentoring cannot compare to face to face experiences. Not to suggest there r not opportunities online, but it not as good physical contact.

I agree with the physical contact side of things. I think I'm going to go down the private tuition route. There is a college near me that does a music theory 10-week course but it's not until March of next year!

Thanks for all the advice

Back