Beats in 3/4

Tor

Heya, I'm recording and producing a local band, and one of their songs is very beat-y (trip hop styles) in a 3/4 beat. Does anyone know of any Hip Hop / Trip Hop / Electronic tracks in a 3/4 beat so I can get some Ideas?

Cheers
~Tor

are you sure this is in a 3/4 beat or is it 3 bars in a measure instead of the usual 4?

3/4 sounds like a waltzpolka. Someone on this forum once told a dude that electric relaxation (a tribe called quest) is in 3/4 but it is not. It is in 4/4 with 3 bars in each measure instead of the usual 4.

If anyone has any hip hop in 3/4 time please post a link!

nice riddim

i listened the rest and that is my favorite
so broken its hard to get the 1-2-3 1-2-3 count

wontime - yea, im sure it's 3/4... 1-2-3-1-2-3-1-2-3-1...

it took me a few hours yesterday but i managed to work out some nice gritty 3/4 drums that don't sound like a waltz!! I started with a 4/4 vinyl loop with no hats and went to town chopping it up until it was 3/4, i found there arent as many arrangements for kick/hats as there are in 4/4! It was a good experience tho, you learn something new every day!!

Contra, That is a kick ass track! are you exacto? Very cool sounds, tho I could see 98% of MC's would have trouble rapping to a 3/4 beat

Cheers
~Tor

wonpeace said:
are you sure this is in a 3/4 beat or is it 3 bars in a measure instead of the usual 4?

3/4 sounds like a waltzpolka. Someone on this forum once told a dude that electric relaxation (a tribe called quest) is in 3/4 but it is not. It is in 4/4 with 3 bars in each measure instead of the usual 4.

A bar is the same thing as a measure.

A measure is made up of beats and 4/4 has 4 and 3/4 has 3.

Maybe you mean to say that it is in 4/4 but with only 3 bars per stanza or phrase.

one way of getting a cool beat in 3/4 is thinking of it as 2/4 + 1/4, or 1/4 + 2/4. In other words, make a 2/4 drumbeat, then add a 1/4 to the end.

or try starting with a bass drum on 1 and a snare on the "and" of 2. then build around that.

I'll make a couple of 3/4 beats and post them up soon.

Back