Beating "Producers Block"

OfficialLilNik

IF YOU WANT THE UNFINISHED BEAT LET ME KNOW. I couldn't attach it:/

Hey, I'm a 16 year old producer and have been producing for around 6 years now so I'm a little experienced in things that producers encounter (Obviously I am still young so have not experienced everything). I just wanted to talk about a few things to do when a producer hits a block and can't produce anything. I've had this a few times and its been really annoying and recently I had a block, the worst I've ever had! I was unable to produce any sort of music for around 2 months and I felt my time was over and almost shut down my YouTube channel and all sites I have too. Every time I would go to my DAW to try and produce something my mind would freeze up and any sort of melody that came out was utterly simple and was not to the standard that I worked at previously.

I'm just going to tell you a few things to do and also what NOT to do while in this situation and hopefully you can get back on track in no time!:
I'M ALSO GOING TO ATTACH A ZIP WITH AN FLP FILE AND STEMS OF AN UNFINISHED SONG IF YOU WANT TO USE IT.
THINGS TO DO:

• Try to search for music which is inspiring. This does not include lyrical content. Only beats which make you think "Damn that is good". Unique Beats. There are plenty of them on YouTube. Search your favourite producer or artist on youtube followed by "Type Beat" or "Type Instrumental" eg. "Timbaland Type Beat" or "Drake Type Instrumental".
  • When producing always start with the thing you are strongest at. For me this is the beat. Usually when I dont have a block, I go for making the melody first to get it out the way with so i can escalate the song with the drums, but when you have a block always start with the thing you are best at, then build around that.
  • Talk to other producers. Most producers have been through this situation so have there own way of dealing with it. Also they may have unfinished beats which you can help them to finish which may get you back into the swing of things. (I've attached an unfinished beat that you can use and finish. You CANNOT sell this beat.)
  • Have someone with you. Having someone with you in the studio can help because they can help you think of little things to add to the simple beat you are creating which could sound better.
  • Try Sampling. I have actually found sampling is very helpful as some of the beat is done for you. It definatley helped me a lot.
THINGS NOT TO DO:

• Don't work with lots of different artists.When I had my block i tried to work with as many people as i could because it thought it would maybe try to make me think outside the box so i could create something new. This doesn't work. All that happens is you try to make to much and too many different styles at once and end up with something ridiculous.
  • Work with one specific artist. Working with one specific artist lets you develop in that one genre and style. Also you will hopefully recieve guidance from this artist on what to make. Eg. They could tell you they want a slow beat with a heavy bassline and big transitions. This will help you get started as you have things to concentrate on. if you didnt have this you would have to starting from scratch and believe me, in this state thats hard. Artist can also help with the melodic side of things as they probably have an idea of what they want and how they are going to use it.
  • Don't sell in this time period. Trying to sell in this time will just give yourself a bad name. You will be giving out beats which arent to the best of you're ability. The point of this time is to build up and get back to your best beats.
  • Don't try to hard. Don't go for making the most unique, complex beat that you have ever made. This isn't going to happen in the state you are in. Go for something simple and develop the bits individually once you have a simple beat created.
  • Don't stay at your DAW for too long.This can result in you thinking youre not good enough and cant achieve anything. Try to go on in small chunks.
I've attached a beat which you can finish and send me back if you want me to listen to it. Should help you get back in to things :D It has the flp and all the vsts etc. If you don't use Fl Studio the stems will also be provided. THIS BEAT CANNOT BE SOLD. Thanks. (TEMPO 70.00BPM)

Thats all the tips I have. If you have any others just reply to this thread. I hope you found it useful. Let me know what you think. This is actually my first post.

Just remember, your time isn't over and don't end everything. You still have plenty of time

Lil Nik
OfficialLilNik - YouTube

Back