Bassline chord prog and melody

Brownz

Sup, say I play a bassline in c major an arpegiation bass chord prog in my left hand. I have found that e sounds good when play the c major chord prog in my left hand so I play e in my right why is this? Why does e g and c sound good when play a c major in the left hand yet f and b sound rather bad? Do certain chords sound better together in terms of pop/rnb? And can I come back to the I chord at anytime or can only certain chords come back to the I chord. Basically I want to no which chords sound good together and how to return to the I without sounding bad?

Okay, based on my very limited theory knowledge E-G-C is an inversion of the C major Chord C-E-G. F&B might not sound good because the major chord in the normal progression is F-A-C. G-B may sound better because its part of the G chord. I just think has to do with progressions and inversions. This is just a thought, as I'm sure BC or pump, etc, may offer a better explanation. my 2 cents.

Sup, say I play a bassline in c major an arpegiation bass chord prog in my left hand. I have found that e sounds good when play the c major chord prog in my left hand so I play e in my right why is this? Why does e g and c sound good when play a c major in the left hand yet f and b sound rather bad? Do certain chords sound better together in terms of pop/rnb? And can I come back to the I chord at anytime or can only certain chords come back to the I chord. Basically I want to no which chords sound good together and how to return to the I without sounding bad?

1. playing a C major arpeggio in the bass means that you can use any note above
  2. some notes are more in tune with the C than others, being closer to the C on the harmonic series
    • the note G is the 3rd harmonic
    • the note E is the 5th harmonic
    • the note Bb is the 7th harmonic
    • the note D is the 9th harmonic
    • the note F# is the 11th harmonic
    • the note C# is the 17th harmonic
    • the note Eb is the 19th harmonic
    • the note B is the 15th harmonic
    • the note F is the 21st harmonic
    • the note G# is the 25th harmonic
    • the note A is the 27th harmonic
  3. we consider the consonance sequence for C to be (according to Paul Hindemith)
    Most Consonant C-G-F-E-Ab-Eb-A-D-Bb-Db-B-F# Most Dissonant
  4. For the C major scale this would equate to
    Most Consonant C-G-F-E-A-D-B Most Dissonant

To your question more specifically:

I think that you need to learn to be more specific and, therefore accurate in your use of language to communicate musical ideas. To whit:
Chord means a collection of tones played simultaneously or one after the other. The triad is the basic chord form.
Tone is for a specific pitch
Note is for a rhythmic duration
Tone/Note are generally combined in such a way that they have become synonomous for the combined value of pitch and duration
Melody for a sequence of tones/notes

You ask about using a note against a left hand C major arpeggio:

[mp3]http://www.bandcoach.org/fp/audio/brownzChordProg-01.mp3[/mp3]

brownzChordProg-01.png

This shows the left hand arpeggiating a C major chord C-G-C'-E'.

The right hand progresses through the overarching melodic line E-G-C-D-F-A-B-C

As can be heard, the A and B sound more dissonant than the F or D (at least to my ear)

As for using chords - what move to what - see this; Chord progressions in the major some tips and tricks

Melodically, there is no right or wrong note to play against a chord, only those are more dissonant or more consonant.

Okay, based on my very limited theory knowledge E-G-C is an inversion of the C major Chord C-E-G. F&B might not sound good because the major chord in the normal progression is F-A-C. G-B may sound better because its part of the G chord. I just think has to do with progressions and inversions. This is just a thought, as I'm sure BC or pump, etc, may offer a better explanation. my 2 cents.

You describe polychordal concepts

[mp3]http://www.bandcoach.org/fp/audio/brownzChordProg-02.mp3[/mp3]

brownzChordProg-02.png

In this example the C major arpeggio continues as before in the left hand.

In the right hand we now hear triads played based on the scale degree found in the first melody:

ProgressionEm-G-C-Dm-F-Am-Bdim-C
Polychord perceivedEm
C
-G
C
-C
-Dm
C
-F
C
-Am
C
-Bdim
C
-C
Extended chordC[sup]maj7[/sup]-C[sup]maj9[/sup]-C-C[sup][sup]6[/sup]/[sub]9[/sub]add11[/sup]-C[sup]6[/sup]-C[sup]maj9add11[/sup]-C

The notes F and B are part of the dominant 7th chord built above G - G-B-D-F, they are also considered to be active tones (high dissonance) requiring resolution by semitone movement: F moves down to E and B moves up to C

Last edited:
Basically I want to no which chords sound good together and how to return to the I without sounding bad?

You do what all composers have done for centuries (despite what music theorists might tell you) you play them and see what they sound like.

This
Polychord perceivedEm
C
-G
C
-C
-Dm
C
-F
C
-Am
C
-Bdim
C
-C
Extended chordC[sup]maj7[/sup]-C[sup]maj9[/sup]-C-C[sup][sup]6[/sup]/[sub]9[/sub]add11[/sup]-C[sup]6[/sup]-C[sup]maj9add11[/sup]-C

should read like this

Polychord perceivedEm
C
-G
C
-C
-Dm
C
-F
C
-Am
C
-Bdim
C
-C
Extended chordC[sup]maj7[/sup]-C[sup]maj9[/sup]-C-C[sup][sup]6[/sup]/[sub]9[/sub]add11[/sup]-C[sup]6add11[/sup]-C[sup]6[/sup]-C[sup]maj9add11[/sup]-C

i.e the C[sup]6[/sup] should be preceded by a C[sup]6add11[/sup]

Last edited:
ChordGoes to
Iany chord
iiIV, V, vii[SUP]b5[/SUP]
iiiii, IV, vi
IVI, iii, V, vii[SUP]b5[/SUP]
VI, vi, IV
viii, IV, V, I
vii[SUP]b5[/SUP]I, iii
So say i'm in C major scale ohhhhhhh wow wait a minte I think I get it now. So thats why alot of chord progs have IV or V at the end because it goes back to the I and is consistant. But wait what if I put ii or iii at the end of a chord progression or at the end of a melody in my right hand, would that mean that I couldent get back to the I of my chord progression? or does it mean I could but it wouldent sound as good

Back