Bass notes and melodies on piano...help...anyone?

guapomusic

I have recently taken suggestions to learn piano as I am trying to progress in my production. Honestly I am tired of chopping samples and relying on that skill alone. As I currently have not found a private instructor, I have started learning keys and hand positioning...basic stuff really. However, I wanted to know how bass notes match up with melodies or keys in the right hand???? Is there a specific framework for this/rules? Also, I wanted to know are the bass notes always one key strikes in the left hand while the right hand works keys and different chords??? Finally, is there a resource for chord progression that can tell be which notes are matched together to form the root chord so to speak and then the following chords as they progress? I know I can go buy and buy a book probably. But I was wondering if there was a chart or table someone had on hand.

Thanks,

No offense, but a basic piano book costs $20 bucks, a tutorial on the internet is even less than that.
I don't mean to come off like a dick, but you're going too fast. Your first concern should be learning the treble and bass clef
Piano-Notes.gif

For starters, I recommend you read this http://andyletke.com/pdf/keys/lesson 1.pdf Its only 11 pages long and goes over basic hand/finger positioning on the piano as well. Great resource for getting started.
Hell, download it, print it out, and read it and re-read it while in front of your keyboard. Also, remember this, http://www.google.com is your best friend, USE IT.
I suggest you do some reading----perhaps hit up your library and borrow a book if $20 is too much for you. I STRONGLY suggest finding an instructor/mentor to give you a basic overview of the piano. Most instructors will charge $15 to $20 bucks a lesson. Also, watch this guy's videos https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vphWgqbF-AM
Also, hit up http://www.musictheory.net and start from lesson 1. And most importantly, SLOW DOWN and soak up all this game. This ain't a race.

Last edited:
Lol...aside from the fact that you did come off in a condascending tone, you provided me with some valuable information. Also as I did mention, I KNOW that I could probably purchase a book and mentioning the cost has no impact in the slightest on my financial fortitude. I posted because I thought this was a site for producers to help each other out and share tips, knowledge, information. Therefore I viewed my posting as a means for such. I apologize if I am being too overly sensitive. But out of respect, I figured responses would be to build and uplift...not tear down for not being as knowledgeable in a certain area and then try to teach. Again thanks but I don't appreciate the tone at all. That's just me.

look up roman numeral chord progression chart......go to "bandcoach"'s profile and just read every post hes ever made, and dont get caught up in "rules"

there are set "rules" and theories but you should have an ear for what sounds good and what doesnt already.

Learn the major scale....221 2221

2 = two semi tones, or one tone, which is referred to as a whole step

1 = one semi tone, or a half step

minor scale

212 2212

Pentatonic (five tones) scale

2 2 m3 2 2

that means whole step, whole step, major third, whole step, whole step

a major third is three semitones

A scales "relative minor" can be found by moving three semi tones down from the tonic of the scale

the tonic of a scale is the base note...in CM scale (c major) it is....c (imagine that :P)

This stuff is not hard to learn. I have been learning a lot and teaching myself.

I feel bad for putting him out there, but talk to bandcoach. Hes an expert on theory.

Last edited:
Thanks...I really appreciate feedback like what you just provided...so bandcoach is on this site?

Thanks again...Respect,

yeah haha try not to annoy him i think a lot of ppl bother him with music questions but hes always willing to help. He sent me some really usefull charts with like almost every chord there is, progressions, scales etc.

First thanks for the love in all the ways it was shown.

I tend to treat theory more as a set of guidelines and explanations than rules.

Most people, however, tend to see it as black white "do this...., don't do that....." sort of stuff.

When actually what theory says is "if you are doing something like this ...., then these approaches .... are known to work well; these ..... work less well and these ..... should be avoided"

I cannot imagine anyone who would ignore signposts if they are trying to get somewhere. Where I live, I have 7 buses I can catch in to the local railway station or another one two stops nearer to the center of Sydney. Now it would be pretty stupid of me to head in the opposite direction to where I was trying to go, so I generally catch the 808 or the 806 as they stop nearer to my home, but I can also catch the 804, 805, 807, 815, and 816 if I need to. On a cost effectiveness note, it will cost me $2.10 to catch the 804, 805, 806, 807 and 808 to get to railway; it will cost me $3.90 to catch the 815 and the 816, so, again, I would have to be wanting to waste money (and time as they are both a longer walk to catch) to get on them.

The same thing goes with theory - why would I want to work against what is the best and usually quickest way to do what I am trying to do????

Pentatonic (five tones) scale

2 2 m3 2 2

that means whole step, whole step, major third, whole step, whole step

a major third is three semitones

Sorry, no, a minor 3rd (m3) is 3 semitones, a Major 3rd (M3) is 4 semitones, e.g.

C-Eb is 3 semitones and is a minor 3rd, m3.

C-E is 4 semitones and is a Major 3rd, M3.

2 2 m3 2 2 m3
C-D-E-G-A-C

is the major pentatonic

m3-2-2-m3-2
A-C-D-E-G-A

is the minor pentatonic

You can also have other pentatonic scales based in other cultures such as that used in Balinese Gamelan
m2-2-M3-m2-M3
E-F-G-B-C-E

Pentatonic simply means 5-notes (penta=Greek for 5), it does not define what notes it should contain, which is why we need to name the type of pentatonic scale

A scales "relative minor" can be found by moving three semi tones down from the tonic of the scale

the tonic of a scale is the base note...in CM scale (c major) it is....c (imagine that :P)

This stuff is not hard to learn. I have been learning a lot and teaching myself.

I feel bad for putting him out there, but talk to bandcoach. Hes an expert on theory.

Don't, it's one of the things that I do here......

Lol...aside from the fact that you did come off in a condascending tone, you provided me with some valuable information. Also as I did mention, I KNOW that I could probably purchase a book and mentioning the cost has no impact in the slightest on my financial fortitude. I posted because I thought this was a site for producers to help each other out and share tips, knowledge, information. Therefore I viewed my posting as a means for such. I apologize if I am being too overly sensitive. But out of respect, I figured responses would be to build and uplift...not tear down for not being as knowledgeable in a certain area and then try to teach. Again thanks but I don't appreciate the tone at all. That's just me.

I wasn't tearing you down at all. If I wanted to be "condescending" I would point out that you spelled it wrong, but I digress. :) Anyways, don't be afraid to ask questions on here, and Bandcoach's presence pretty much validates this forum since he's the most knowledgeable person here as far as I can tell, so you'll always have answer to those burning theory questions ("What are these chords?").

study diatonic triads.
Analysis Calculator

here you have a nice chart to see which chord you have to play with these roman numerals. again, while im studying im recognizing how important the Scale and the intervals are.. its all about them you just need to know which keys you are "allowed" to hit when you are in that scale and so you can create your melodies..

damn it coach, i KNEW it was minor not major! I shouldnt have been lazy and double checked like i knew i should haha. ahhhhhhhhh haha at least you came in here and corrected me...

sorry op :O

good information indeed!

---------- Post added at 07:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:28 PM ----------

appreciate it

Back