For anyone who recently started making beats, what are the biggest struggles for you?

I started making beats about 3 years ago, for me the hardest part is arranging/keeping a track interesting.

When I began producing on the DAW back in 2002, I learned that some samples were naturally not lined up that begain a half a second into the sample.
So I hard to learn how to sound edit those WAV sample files in order to get the kick drum for example to sound on beat and not like an off-beat late attack.

Then secondly, getting the kick and the bassline(s) to not conflict in the mix. There are EQ techniques but f that, I got a quicker solution I found:
Rob Papen's MasterMagic VSTfx plugin which recalibrates and de-couples the two from fighting for space in the mix. That plugin does the professional
recalibration techniques for ya'. You may also use WavesFactory TrackSpacer, but the former works quicker.

Then thirdly and lastly, getting the snare to slap harder in the mix. Many ways to acquire this, but the quickest nowadays are the following VSTfx plugins:

-- Gullfoss (sometimes, adding clarity gets everything to slap harder in the mix including non-drum-tracks transient ambient sounds in the mix)
-- Waves C4/C6 stereo compressor - Compress the middle frequencies and boost with a small Q[uantization] in the HF (not upper HFs like 17kHz to 20kHz) maybe 9kHz-17kHz 6 dB boost
where the snare/claps slaps in that frequency space.
-- Duplicating your snare-clap tracks to make them sound fuller
-- izotope Ozone 9 Master Rebalancer - set it to Drums and turn up to 8.0 dBs as the max it can bring the drums out into the foreground of the mix

The hardest thing to have an idea for an entire piece. I am looking for inspiration in many artists, for example in Michael Jackson, so in my opinion it is the best way to make a professional music.
The most important it basics are constant practice and getting into complicated matters will come with time you will learn the basics you can jump to more difficult things

The hardest thing to have an idea for an entire piece. I am looking for inspiration in many artists, for example in Michael Jackson, so in my opinion it is the best way to make a professional music.
The most important it basics are constant practice and getting into complicated matters will come with time you will learn the basics you can jump to more difficult things
If you have to look for inspiration in Michael Jackson, then you aren't gifted by default. I wish people would stop trying to emulate Prince, Michael Jackson, 2Pac, Biggie, etc. just because most people thought they were
all that.

Do you know where I get my inspiration from although they may have gotten it for the aforementioned? Class B and C producers based on popularity, but Class A in music production.
e.g. 3 Boyz From Newark,
Nettlesby & Coffey
Victor Meritt & Gerald Gerald Baillergeau
The Characters (Troy Taylor f__ks with Trey Songz for the last decade in produce some of his music), etc.
...that's where the real electro soul and R&B is at.
Look at Class B producers like Xtra P/Large Pro from Main Source and Salaam Remi if Hip Hop and Rap are your stick.
But for Class A producers, I also look to LA & Babyface, Teddy Riley, and Jimmy Jam & Terry Lewis

Look to the producer, not to the artist as a producer, man. "C'mon man. That's like you getting tested for cocaine for you to get employment" -- Sleepy Joe, quoted 2020

Last edited:
If you have to look for inspiration in Michael Jackson, then you aren't gifted by default. I wish people would stop trying to emulate Prince, Michael Jackson, 2Pac, Biggie, etc. just because most people thought they were
all that.

Do you know where I get my inspiration from although they may have gotten it for the aforementioned? Class B and C producers based on popularity, but Class A in music production.
e.g. 3 Boyz From Newark,
Nettlesby & Coffey
Victor Meritt & Gerald Gerald Baillergeau
The Characters (Troy Taylor f__ks with Trey Songz for the last decade in produce some of his music), etc.
...that's where the real electro soul and R&B is at.
Look at Class B producers like Xtra P/Large Pro from Main Source and Salaam Remi if Hip Hop and Rap are your stick.
But for Class A producers, I also look to LA & Babyface, Teddy Riley, and Jimmy Jam & Terry Lewis

Look to the producer, not to the artist as a producer, man. "C'mon man. That's like you getting tested for cocaine for you to get employment" -- Sleepy Joe, quoted 2020

I really don't understand your answer. Searching for inspiration is not a lack of talent, but an understanding of the essence and principles of its operation.
Downloading a DAW to your computer won't start creating a song from start to finish without asking others how it's done. That is why people in the world are here to help each other.
A good example is Avicii, which in 2006 or 2007 created BRAIN, which was a typical Basshunter scheme. Later you know very well that combining styles gave him a unique style that distinguished him from other producers and thus became international.

I really don't understand your answer. Searching for inspiration is not a lack of talent, but an understanding of the essence and principles of its operation.
Downloading a DAW to your computer won't start creating a song from start to finish without asking others how it's done. That is why people in the world are here to help each other.
A good example is Avicii, which in 2006 or 2007 created BRAIN, which was a typical Basshunter scheme. Later you know very well that combining styles gave him a unique style that distinguished him from other producers and thus became international.
Inspiration and talent go hand-in-hand. Okay Inspiration and originality go hand in hand too. The more original you are, the more talented you are.

Honestly Im a very basic producer I make west coast beats and I only use a few VSTs and like 8 drum kits. Im not the best at mixing at all but I feel like my melodies are unique. Really I just have a difficult time find the sounds and drums I want to use.

Honestly Im a very basic producer I make west coast beats and I only use a few VSTs and like 8 drum kits. Im not the best at mixing at all but I feel like my melodies are unique. Really I just have a difficult time find the sounds and drums I want to use.

I see. Well, I remember where I'd used to get stuck all the time because I felt my soundbanks and sound sources were crazily limited. You just have to explore more. May I help you?
Here's some help:

1. Arturia Pigments (excellent sounds that anybody would find a liking too) | Source: Arturia - Sound Design
  2. StudioLinkedVST (now known as Studio Linked) have TWO West Coast KONTAKT libraries that might make your d!ck jump | Source: Search for "west coast" -
  3. Kontakt Workstation (there are thousands of VST instrument libraries so that should keep your music creation going) | Source: Samplers : Kontakt 6 | Komplete

For me, the time and having confidence and putting the music out there. I play guitar for a few bands where im from. So a lot of my time is spent practicing and rehearsing. I also have a job that I put a lot of hours into. So its rough trying to find time and energy into make as many beats as i would like to.

Also, for some reason, I would make a beat then hate after putting so many hours into it. I come on here to listen to what some people make on here and I get a little intimidated. I know some people use samples but I want to start making beats from scratch before i go into sampling stuff.

I'm hoping to eventually get over hurdles and putting music out there. No way im gonna get any better if I have nothing to for people to give their opinion on.

Back