Anyone In Trance/hard Trance ?

Innerworld

Hi everyone

i just loged in this forum and i would like to know if there is anyone involved in Trance/Hard Trance projects...

hey,

i am currently working on some prog trance tracks in my home studio. right now i just have my tables/mixer, Reason 2, and Oxygen 8 kboard to record with.

dj adam d

well that's really nice...prog is quite up for the moment in many countries in Europe...are you using any kind of hardware synths sampler etc ?...

I'm using Novation Supernova II, Roland JP-8080, and Roland Juno-60.

Supernova is great for overall trance sounds, JP-8080 is great for strings/pads, and the Juno makes great basses.
And in a few weeks I'll have the great chance to use the Minimoog of a friend of mine !! Wooooow !!

Last edited:
The Minimoog rocks...

I do the trance thing.

I mostly use software, Reason 1 (soon to be version 2) , Acid Pro 3 and cubase 5.

I do have occasionally use hardware synths tho

Korg M1
Yamaha DX7

cool. I use Reason 2 and my Oxygen 8 for producing and Peak for recording my mixes from my tables.

Soon I should be adding Cubase SX and the audiophile 2946 card

Innerworld said:
Hi everyone

i just loged in this forum and i would like to know if there is anyone involved in Trance/Hard Trance projects...

YES! I like dark Proggy Trance and Hi-NRG 140bpm Trance too...

I use Fruityloops, Cubase SX, VSTi Plugs, and an XP-60 hooked up through a Midiman 2x2.

Nothing to show for it but a huge amount of drum lines and bass lines...can't seem to break through the wall to actually create some breakdowns and reprise parts....

Hi

i am more in mellow trance but i like using some big riffs over there as well...i also like producers like Armin van Buren and Paul van dyk l...thery are really massive in almost anything they release...is there anybody dealing proffesionally with this kind of stuff out there ?... by the way does anybody knows if there are any good sites where i could download samples for this kind of music ?

Last edited:
I'm love trance and work on it in the studio, but I can't find that perfect trance sound that i hear so frequently. No matter how much I tweak my stuff sounds less lush and more crisp than most of the intelligent dance music i hear.

I think i'm missing some crucial synth elements but I can't quite put a finger on it.

Trance is very formula driven which is why a lot of it mixes well together and or sounds the same. I really like GOA style trance. My goal is to bring an element to it that makes it a little different. Any suggestions on what makes that TRANCE sound work.

To Dj Blurry,

If you are serious about coming up with your own original sound, check out any of Evantides fx units. Thier spendy but you will be comeing out with sounds you never even knew excested! Infected Mushroom, Hallucinogen, Astral Projection and many other artist use them!

Syndrum said:
To Dj Blurry,

If you are serious about coming up with your own original sound, check out any of Evantides fx units. Thier spendy but you will be comeing out with sounds you never even knew excested! Infected Mushroom, Hallucinogen, Astral Projection and many other artist use them!

I take it you're into psy/goa??

I think that I've got the right equipment, I just need to focus on lushing my stuff up. My basses are always more dance oriented than goa or psy. I like lushy trance stuff that has a subtle beats. I just can't keep my habit of pounding the drum machines or sampler. Maybe I need to make some break stuff for a while to get it out of my system.

There was a GOA typle comp out about 5 years ago called Trance For Motion. I really like that style of trance. Whether it be Goa or not. My friend that has been to Goa to party laughs when I call trance Goa. He says it's like calling old school rap Queens.

In case anyone doesn't know Goa is a beach resort area in india that is famous for raves and parties on the beach. (edit - my friend says that parties rarely happen anymore) I know a lot of people that make trance and use the word and don't understand what it is. I never got to go to Goa in the hey day, does anyone know if the parties still happen?

peace

Last edited:
Count me in too. I'm only using fruityloops though right now, till I need to learn something else....also into ambient, orchestral and whatever else.....nice trance tune you got there galactic boy....makes me want to pull a :monkey:

What makes that trance style work is that it isn't nearly as formula driven as it seems. I think the same can be said for any style of music that seems like its following a formula but just works.

The only way I've found to make a whole track cohesive is hard work and relentless progression on the sequencing side.

Your selection of sounds can make a big difference, but it doesn't help to sit tweaking sounds hoping to find the perfect killer bass or lead, looping a 4 beat bar.

For instance, if you're writing trance out of the perspective of the bassline its important to lay down at least 8 to 16 bars of bassline progression, and I'm not talking about a loop of the same bar here, something that's going somewhere....

Then you can spend a small amount of time tweaking the bass sound itsself, making sure that it has impact on all the frequencies you've use... A good stress test of the sound goes long way to defining what it should sound like.

If you can spend even 20% as much time physically sequencing as you do tweaking a sound you'll end up with more musical material and breakdown ideas than you'll ever get to use in your tracks. And you're sounds will evolve to suit the sequences you write.

Percussion... is massively important.... You need to spend a lot of time sourcing new samples, layering sounds... swapping the punch of one sound with the decay of another... convoluting to give you hats a nice metalic ring... etc. etc.
And once again... very importantly... writing long progressive sequencues to test your sounds with, to see if they actually fits together or not.
Rhythm must always be going through small stages of variation from one bar to the next... There must never be an identical loop... It can be close to the point of fooling everyone on the dance floor, but there must always be slight variations to keep the dancefloor on its toes.

Psy trance is still huge in Israel and many parts of europe... but its been spreading out to South-Africa (Mainly Cape Town, pitty I live in Johannesburg. ;)), Brasil & Australia..... it's still big in Japan, and its been around in Thailand for a while too.

The regular dance crowd are often complaining that people play too much psy in Koh Samui and Koh Phanang (Where the famous full moon parties are held). I think Koh Phanang is more like the old Goa used to be like, except that you don't want to be caught partaking in the same level of substance abuse in Thailand. Their laws are pretty hectic in that regards.

There have been a lot fo the old-style Goa types of riffs coming back into psy-trance after it went very minimal and dark for a while, or maybe it's just that I've been listening to too much Israeli stuff these days. ;)

Ok... to punt the South African psy trance even more.

The Capetown scene has gotten a lot more like hard-trance with psy-trance type basslines still dominating, and there are a whole bunch of South-African tracks creeping into the Psy-trance compilations.
Acts like Bent Sentient, Shift, Hydrophonic.... etc.
Check out www.nanorecords.co.uk ... featuring mainly S.A artists. ;)

I hope it does go Progressive for a while longer... but we'll have to wait and see.

Here in Australia its mostly Hard NRG or Hard Trance in all of the clubs, to the point where you would have a hard time to find any clubs playing anything other than NRG, Hard Trance or House (although house is usually just played in the bar type clubs)

I'm producing Trance / Hard Trance full time. Actually, for the past few weeks I've been bashing my head trying to get a track ready for the Winter Music Conference in March. Anyone who has produced trance knows that you can get into an infinite loop of changing/adding/removing/fixing things until your ear is tone deaf to the song altogether.

I begin writing really melodic trance, but lately I've moved into Hard Trance where I'm more comfortable producing (although melodic tracks like 'Ligaya' still make me jealous!) I find that ear fatigue is really tough to overcome in the melodic riffs. I mean, 8 hours straight of perfecting highly melodic arppegiations is enough to make me sick of music for a few days. Hard Trance is nice for its foot stomping beats n basses that keep you into it, especially with a few cups of coffee in ya!

oh yea.. i primarly use a Virus C, Reason 2.0, cubase, VSTs , etc...
I was groovin to galacticboy's track when i wrote this message.. nice track man!

Back