anyone have a guidline for snare, kick, and hi hat levels?

jimmyglance

does anyone know the basic levels that beats should be at? EX- should thekicks be higher in volume then the snare? or the hi hats lower than the rest? hope this isnt a stupid question, just wondering what the basic rule of thumb is...thank you very much...Glance

I don't know about a rule of thumb, but different styles of music might be different.

Here's what I do to get the relative feel for the loudness:

Listen to a commercial track of the style of music you're making. Listen to the kick/snare/hats and think of them on a scale of 1-10 as far as loudness goes.

For a typical hip hop track you might find the snare is a 9 the kick is an 8 and the hats are a 6. This method could also help you to figure out other intrument levels as well. You bass might be a 7, the piano chords might be a 5 etc...

There are no rules to this so use this as a starting point and let your ear be the final judge.

Basic Mixing

KICKS

Start with the kick drum. Adjust your mix monitor level to where you normally like to listen. Bring the kick fader up to a point where it kicks the mix bus meters (the console's stereo output) up to -3db VU. Add a little 2.5 K for attack if you need to. Roll off a little 300Hz if the kick is a little tubby in the lower mids.

BASS

Bring up the bass guitar fader until the bass becomes a cohesive unit with the kick, and the two of them seem to hit you in the chest.

SNARES

Now add the snare to the mix. Bring it up to a level that rivals, but doesn't exceed the level of the kick and bass. Add a little plate or room reverb to the snare. Try a 1 second decay time for starters. Adjust to taste.

TOMS

Bring up the toms and overhead tracks. Keep them panned so that the cymbals on the left side of the kit are panned to the same side of the mix as the high tom.
The mid tom should appear in the middle, and the floor tom and cymbals from the right side of the kit all appear on the right. If your toms sound like cardboard boxes, try adding a little bottom, rolling off some 300-500Hz in the lower mids,
and adding a little top end to give them some crack.

HI HATS

I don't bother with a hi-hat most of the time.
Someone once told me that it usually takes care of itself, and remarkably, it does!

GUITARS

Let's add the guitars next. First, the electric. Pan it almost full left. Take a short delay from the guitar and pan it almost full right, but a slightly lower volume. Your brain will tell you that you hear a big, wide guitar that appears mostly on the left side. Pan the acoustic guitar to the right. Add a little harmonizer to it. Detune it one cent. Pan it to the left. Result? A big, wide acoustic guitar that cuts through the mix, but doesn't require more volume to do it. That's the secret. By careful thought and panning, you can have a full mix that doesn't compete within itself.

SAMPLES

Now add the sample to the mix. Add desired FX. Bring it up to a level that rivals, but doesn't exceed the level of the kick and bass. Everything at this point should sound like it blends together well. Adjust to taste.

PIANO

Let's add the piano now. I usually pan it as if I were sitting at it, but if the guitar on the left is playing in a lower register, then I don't pan the low end of the piano there as well. They'd compete for space with each other. In this case,let's assume it's okay to pan the piano to nine o'clock for the low end and three o'clock for the high end. By using a stereo compressor set to a fast attack and slow release, you'll make the piano "tinkle" a little more on the top end, and "growl" a little more on the low end. Hence, you'll be adding another instrument, but once again, it won't fight for space.

Silas' reply was pretty solid. However, it's gonna ultimately depend on the song. With hiphip, the drums are usually the strongest part of the song, so therefore you'll mix those to stand out. However, this may not apply to other types of music. I only listen to hip/hop, but I suppose that a pop ballad may have the melody or vocals be more prominent than the drums. This would make your rhythm mix different. In relation to each though, you were right in thinking that the kick would be louder than the snare, and so on with the hats. If you chose the proper snare and kick for the song, you should not have to do much in the way of EQ, especially in hip hop. As mentioned, you won't need to do much in the way of eq to hi hats. However, you should probably pan them 20-30 degrees left or right. Since they cut through prety well, you can usually have them pretty low in the mix, but still hear them.

snares: use PSP saturator plugins.
snares do not need lots of freqs above 11000 hz. So compress hig freqs a bit. also delete everything below 180 hz. Boost aourn 250. Cut around 300- 500
- increase around 3000 hz.

kick:

delte everything below 50 hz. increas e 90 hz, decrease 130-180 hz

bass:

delete below 50 hz, scoop 80-110 hz. Increase 130-150 hz, decrease a bit around 250-350. increase 400/800/3000 hz for bass recognition.

hat: cut aeverything below 550 hz. Boos around 8000 for sizzle. Mmmmm

electri cguiatar: cut below 200...decrease around 250-400 and boos around 1500 and 10000 hz.

good luck

me when i mix i usually turn all tracks all the way down. depending on how i want it my bass drum is usually the loudest. then my snare panned either left or right with the hi-hats panned opposite and slightly further out. bass center and everything else panned according to how i feel sounds best. i mainly do rap and i e.q. every instrument. plus i use only hardware. psr-550,motif,rm1x, and a zoom 10 track harddisk recorder.

Back