anyone get into harmonics?

m theory is essentially a well defined quantum theory that reduces to a supersymmetric theory of gravity at low energies. In effect, with M theory, already established theories are being "united" in a single framework. To this you may respond "whats the point favoring theories that explain everyting alone over multiple theory's that only explain certain things?" (ie. your so called "practical physics") obviously the universe follows "laws". Note that I would use the term "follows a set of laws" but I won't until I deal with the fact that the term "set" is normally used arbitrarily. who's to say "these things are in "one set" and "those are in another". however when it comes down to laws that the universe follows i'd say that the rules followed by the universe are by definition objectively different from rules the universe does not follow. in as much as reality iteself (as is limited by the fact that our definition of reality is relegated to being a function of our perception in as much as we cannot deal with a reality we cannot percieve unless it at least has some indirect consequences we can percieve) can be said to be a function of those rules and those rules alone. to make a simple analogy, a deductively valid logical calculation such as modus tollens is, by definition, objectively different from a rule i'll label "potato" which states that "if all a are b then all b are not c". the latter is demonstrably illogical (if the statement "potato" is intended to stand alone without supporting premises) while the former is objectively true. in essence the groups of laws which make up "objective truth" are objectively true. When stated this way it is rather obvious that favoring a unified theory over a set of inelegant and incomplete theories makes perfect sence. By definition a theory which lacks the ability to discern certain objective truths would be "in error" as it relates to the truths it fails to discern. Name a physics theory that contains 4 or less dimensions (spatial or otherwise) that can even come close to claiming that it unifies all the forces of the universe into a single framework? the very fact that the theory's you favor are incomplete, by definition, exhibits their lack of ability to resolve correct conclusions in all circumstances and therefore makes them inferior to M theory. unless you can come up with some correct conclusions which m theory has failed to resolve that your "practical physics" can resolve... M theory, at the current state of events in physics, must be accepted as being demonstrably superior to your so called "practical physics". Make a list of the theories you deem to be "practical" and i'll show you a study or experiment that has shown results that cannot be explained by each one of those theories. I'll ask you to attempt to do the same for M theory. Seeing as though no Physicist I have ever heard of has been able to do this so far... good luck! More experimentaton is necessary in order to be able to directly test the results of M theory and yet more experimentation is NOT necessary in order to test the results of your "practical physics" in as much as it relates to your "practical physics" being tested as possible candidates for unifying all the forces of nature. Why? because they have already been rejected as possible candidates! I would have responded much more specifically to the particular theories you espouse but it seems you have failed yet again to include any evidence (or even specifics) in your writings and have simply stated opinion. However, it's really easy to attack opinions..... so I will :)
you wrote
Ok. Site your evidence, bookworm. You know, reading drivel from the "Science" isle in Barnes and Noble doesn't quite make you a physicist, right?
Are you a physicist? obviously not so what makes you think you know more about physics than they do? we are BOTH non physicists the only difference between me and you is that physicists, on the whole, agree with me and disagree with you.
Gee...... which of these two statements do you disagree with in order for me to know exactly what it is you want backed up
1. M theory unifies other theories into a single framework
2. M theory is currently in a state of not being disproven
If you dont find fault with either of these two premises the conclusion that M theory is superior to "practical physics" necessarily follows (as is explained above). I've actually never read about M theory in a book from the book store, but to be fair I did first read about superstrings theory in a book published in the 80's when I was about 10 (or less) years old, but like I said superstrings has already been usurped. And by the way It does not take a physicist to recognize that physicists happen to favor a certain theory as plausible. "mr. physicist do you recognize newtonian physics as plausible?.....no I don't"..... how about that, its' easy, just find out their position. I'm willing to bet money that their positions are more "well informed" than either of ours. Too bad it just so happens they happen to agree with me.
you wrote: You'll have to do better than that. Would you REALLY like to have this little battle of wits with me? May the net force be with you.
I'll have to do better than what? reading books about m theory from barnes n' noble (which I havent) or stating the obvious fact that physicists around the world are now backing M theory? If the latter is not enough then please state how it is that you have come to the conclusion that you know more about physics than the vast majority of physicsts around the world put together? Even If i don't rely on the opinions of other physicists for evidence I still can provide evidence to disprove any of your "practical physics" theories while you can't provide any evidence to disprove m theory (because none exists)
you wrote:
Hawking is a theoretical dolt
your opinion, Which I might add is somewhat equivalent to me sitting around saying einstein was stupid or mozart knew nothing about music..... how do you expect anyone to take you seriously.
you wrote:
and Big Bang is another load of crap.
your opinion, where's your evidence?....... you know the universe is EXPANDING.........which means that obviously the universe was smaller in the past than it is now which by definition contradicts the notion of an infinite universe..... obviously, infinity isn't smaller than infinity. an infinite universe can therefore never expand. and therefore the existence of an expanding universe contradicts the notion that the universe is infinite
you wrote:They've obviously not updated the science isle in your local store. I bet you still believe in black holes, too.
that depends, if by black hole you mean a singularity, then yes I believe they exist. Do you disagree with the notion that curvatures of space-time correlate with the force of gravitation? (if so you not only disagree with Stephen Hawking but also Albert Einstein, so perhaps it's you who's a "dolt") and If you don't disagree with general relativity as it relates to curvatures of space time then what is it that you propose happens when there's an infinite curvature of space-time?????????? (here's a hint.... it's rhymes with singularity :)
you wrote:
Practical physics is where it's at.
gee folks....... its another OPINION........ lets see newtonian physics is "practical" can you please use it to explain the existence of even a single stable atom?????????
you wrote:
P.S. _My_ IQ is in the range where we don't need to brag about it. (And, MINE was not determined by my friend's LiveJournal IQ survey.) (;
Actually my IQ was first tested when I was still in the first grade at the behest of my teacher which seemed to think that perhaps I wasn't paying attention due to a lack of intelligence, on the contrary it turned out that class was moving too slowly for me and I was in fact uninterested due to boredom. If you'll note I didn't mention my actual IQ. in my first post for a reason, I simply said "genius level" In order to simply state that you havent picked a fight with an "average joe" who's going to crumble in the face of weak arguments. (If I was bragging I'd also mention the fact that my IQ is higher than what is considered "genius level" by a larger margin than "genius level" is higher than "average" and that in essence i'm a "genius compared to a genius" but I purposely did not state my IQ because I felt I would be "overdoing it" and that simply stating I was a genius was sufficient as it related to my intent.) As you'll note.......It was not I who decided to attempt to make fun of one of your posts in the hope that I would sound more intelligent than you but It was you who decided to attempt to make fun of one of my posts obviusly not having any idea who it was you just picked a fight with. It's not considered "bragging" to defend yourself in the face attempted ridicule and that's exactly what I'm doing. You are analogous to the proverbial "bully" in the school yard, it just so happens to be the case that you "would have" picked on me if you could. not only that, you tried. all I have to say is "too bad you didn't realize I'm ALOT bigger than you" :)
Here's a tip......... next time actually include some arguments that arent opinions. Perhaps you don't realize the difference so here's an example.
1+1=2 is an argument
if you respond to this argument
"I hate math only crackpots believe in it" or " I hate theoretical physics. It opens everything up to the metaphysical hogwashers." that would be an OPINION
you see? so anyway seeing as though you added no "non-opinions" in your second post the score is STILL as follows
Evidence for my post: all the scientific data we currently have

Evidence for your post: none, consisting of purely opinion

Nice report, Johnny.

GZAexabyte said:
Are you a physicist? obviously not

I thunked yew wuz uh genius? Did you also ASSUME that 'C' was always the bubble to fill in?

Summing things up in a manner I think you could understand, based upon your posts: I've written widely accepted papers in the scientific community. What have you done, other than post on a music forum about things you were hoping noone would contest. I should probably use the word "obviously", here, to help you out.

Hey, how about listing those 11 dimensions for us, too, Nancy.

Raymond.

Last edited by a moderator:
I skimmed through parts of this thread and the initial idea about two higher frequency tones creating a third lower frequency tone rang a bell (no pun intended).

A few years ago I read about a developing new speaker technology called Hyper Sonic Sound (HSS) which uses two hypersonic notes to create two new tones. One tone is the sum of the frequencies, therefore also hypersonic, and the other is the difference between the two frequencies,in this case an undistorted audible tone. Apparently these sum and difference tones are a property of waves in nonlinear media like air. The difference tone is called the Tartini tone after 18th century Italian composer Giuseppe Tartini who first described it.

Here's a great link about beats and Tartini tones(at the bottom) by a physics department in Sydney. http://www.phys.unsw.edu.au/~jw/beats.html
It even has a link explaining how tuning intruments relates to uncertainty principle with brief references to chaos theory and information theory.
It seems like a very cool site I'll have to check out more of later.

This Popular Mechanics article mentions more about how the nonlinear aspect of air plays into it: http://www.popularmechanics.com/technology/audio/1279591.html?page=2&c=y

It's easy to Google tons more about HSS, Tartini tones and music acoustics in general.

Hope that helps.

to kganguly: good post, I'm into high end audio equipment and found this interesting but I was wondering how they intend to get adequate volume levels (especially in the bass regions) out of drivers with such little inertia (the lack of inertia being necessary for a speaker to be able to repoduce hypersonic frequencies assuming they arent being run by some super amplifier that puts out thousands upon thousands of watts in order to be able to move large tranducers at such a high speed and amplitude. (in order to have a high volume of air compliance). Regardless, it's still interesting.
and to level6: I don't think you've fooled anyone into thinking that you're a physicist. From what I gather in fact it seems as though you know so little about physics that you don't even realize how ridiculous your posts sound. You wan't me to "list" the eleven dimensions? what are you talking about? do you even know what a spatial dimension is? well gee here goes 1d 2d 3d 4d 5d 6d 7d 8d 9d 10d 11d ......... I dont understand the point..... oh yeah the point is that was about the stupidest question I've ever heard, each dimension relates to the dimension below it in the exact same way (so whats the point of listing them?), however our brains can only readily grasp 3d and below. 1d would be analogous to only left and right, one could only specify how far to the left or how far to the right something is (ie. a line) 2d would be analogous to only left and right and up and down..... one could only specify something analogous to an x and y grid (ie. a square) and 3d would add in and out to the mix (ie. a cube) more spatial dimensions just keep getting added on the higher you go (but again they are beyond our ability to percieve). I'm not talking about sci fi "dimensions" geez what kind of list were you expecting? names like "the kyrpton dimension and planet zoog?" I guess I should end this argument since I feel sorry for you seeing as though you've resorted to lying about being a physicist and such just to try to spare yourself from the realization that you don't know what your talking about. kind of sad though, sort of like a homeless person imagining that he's really a millionare. I guess "sci fi" dimensions really do exist.... and you live in one of em.... it's called "fantasy land" :) maybe you should go write some more of those "widely accepted scientific papers" and spend more of your time not wasting mine. Judging from your posts; either your just a young kid, (in which case i'm sorry for defending myself so vehemently) or your just crazy. If it's the latter go get a piece of cardboard scribble on it "einstein and stephen hawking are all wrong" and parade around town screaming at everyone... that way everyone can appreciate the full substance of your message.
Have fun!

houseofthesun, i just skipped this to post but by judging by this topic and your username which has reference to zodiac, (?) your into your metaphysical ish...
im very interested in this and how numbers light and sound are all inter related too...
check it... http://www.spectrummuse.com/music_metaphysics.htm

wow, It has taken me 2 weeks to get through this thread while sitting at work.. Jumping in on a thread that has been continueing for some time is not the best idea when there is a battle of wits (i guess).. but I do like the thoughts that were being thrown around about "harmonics".. that is what the thread was titled right? "harmonics".. Suppose I'm using that term lightly as the thread has so many other good nuggets of knowleage being spewed out from resting mountains. Waves of lava knowlege has now coverd this thread.

Peace.

Dear Houseofthesun. thankyou very much for your breakdown of the harmonic scale.
it was exactly what i was looking for.
I'm not a trained musician but i too find the harmonic scale fascinating.

I'm very interested in systems within music mainly because i'm not good enough to imagine my own melodies so i rely very much, well almost entirely on chance and setting systems in motion to see what happens. I'm particularly interested in systems that dont have a pattern. like PI for example

I can understand why many people woudn't be interested in this sort of thing, after all, feeling is the vital ingredient. but i find this stuff truly fascinating and i think genuinely fruitful to anyone devoting a little time to it.
What the harmonic scale is, is the backbone of melody and also the history of melody. as each new harmonic octave was discovered this deepened the understanding of harmony and changed the way music was written.
I dont think theres anything wrong with putting a little cold science into Art.
I believe that surrendering a little of your artistic licence to forces deeper and wider than our understanding is dignified, humbling and respectful.

what i would like to know

does the scale repeat itself or is there no obvious pattern? I did notice pattern with the G and C scale you mentioned but does the scale loop after the 16th?

how far have you gone up the scale?

laws of thermodynamics cease to exist in the world of the quanta.

wow, pompous, very pompous... the whole i'm smarter than you so stay away from my particle accelerator. all i know is that i completely support myself and my family doing professionl audio. physics is fun to discuss, but even in star wars one's knowledge of the force can only go so far... apparently the next step is a light saber duel.........

level6 said:
Ok. Site your evidence, bookworm. You know, reading drivel from the "Science" isle in Barnes and Noble doesn't quite make you a physicist, right? You'll have to do better than that. Would you REALLY like to have this little battle of wits with me? May the net force be with you.

Hawking is a theoretical dolt and Big Bang is another load of crap. They've obviously not updated the science isle in your local store. I bet you still believe in black holes, too.

Practical physics is where it's at.

P.S. _My_ IQ is in the range where we don't need to brag about it. (And, MINE was not determined by my friend's LiveJournal IQ survey.) (;

-smewtch!-

Raymond.

you are a loser

One of the things I discovered awhile ago with my oscilloscope and a synthesizer is that frequencies which create chords also tend to create fractions. Let me elaborate:

The length of one wave is always twice as long as the same note an octave above. So basically if you play middle C, then play the next C up, the waves correspond as double and half. So you could say the relationship of an octave is 1-2.

Two notes that are 7 semitones apart (C and G, for example) are 2-3. So, the relationship between C and G is that G oscillates three times in the same physical space as C oscillates twice.

Notes that are 5 semitones apart (C and F for example) have a relationship of 3-4.

C and D# have a relationship of 5-6. C and D have a relationship of 8-9.

This kind of thing really blows me away, because I ended up thinking: could you compose music somehow using these numerical relationships?

agreatwhitebird
yes, you could compose music this way. In fact it's been done. Lou Harrison was a composer from the mid 20th century who liked using different tuning systems than we normally do and he was quoted to have said "I dream of the day when I can say I want a 5:6 or a 15:19 instead of just a minor third" (not an exact quote, I paraphrased as much as I could remember)

There have been pieces written where the rhythms are based on the interval using those numbers.

what you yourself discovered was discovered by pythagoras around 2500 years ago.

you can do a google search for him and find a lot of interesting things on this stuff

Yeah, I figured there was probably a lot of information out there on this kind of thing, I'm in the middle of a book about it, but it covers more the psychology of sound, and not so much the physics.

So... if I want to search for this kind of information, like about how different notes relate to one another, what kinds of keywords should I use? What is this stuff called?

Even though I assumed right away that what I was looking into had been explored before, making that discovery for myself was really fun anyway. Although I think I'd like to read up on what others make of it.

Going back to Houseofthesun's original post, I too have considered using two notes to make one. But I think he's going in a physical-relationship-of-the-strings-vibrating way to make the third tone.

My idea was to use the interval of, say, a 5th, as a note. So instead of playing a C and a G, you're playing a 5th.

I know that sounds redundant or like I'm haggling symantics, but what if the new sound of the two combined was its own new sound?

What if it was a new note in and of itself???

WOW.

agreatwhitebird,
sorry I didn't see your questions until now. You've probably found a lot of stuff online already, but if not, and in case some one else is interested... you can search "tartini tones" - that's the tone you hear when 2 tones are playing and you hear a 3rd one. "pythagoras" and "monochord" should lead you to information about ratios between pitches, also try "pitch ratios"

Back