Any drums theory resources?

bhabymhan

Hello guys,

I was curious if there are resources out there that explain the theory of drums and the way you convey emotions with them. Something like the equivalent of harmony and melody but for drums. Like this kind of pattern gives this marching feeling. Having the snare after this instrument creates a tension that needs to be resolved. That kind of things. I don't know if I'm clear enough.

Thanks a lot.

sadly your request about emotion is not something that is in the lexicon of drum teaching: they are concerned with teaching technique and later stylistic devices and styles and genres.

that said, if you are looking for something that might convey emotions then I suggest that you look up some material on tabla and tablawallahs

I always thought that you couldn't make a proper melody with percussion from a drum kit. And after reading some things... I still don't know if it's possible.

it's possible but it is all approximate rather than definite pitch.

Light and shade between rim, shell, skin and cymbal help and also playing the cymbal on different parts and choking or allowing the cymbal sound to ring out.

Dynamic levels also impart some subtle emotive forces but in the end everyone will perceive the results differently

Damn I guess I will have to be analyzing lots of songs to have a better understanding of drums.
It's just a lot easier when you understand how things work than trying to figure things out.

Back