Amadeus - Did Mozart really laugh like that?

M

menergy

My sister loaned me her copy of Amadeus to watch.

Does anyone know whether or not Mozart really laughted like the character in the movie?

:eek:

he probably did. i think this movie was quite an event when they made it, and i bet also that they had historians all over th eplace making sure each detail was close to what we know of his life.

Actually, the main plot of the movie is fictional... the whole Salieri murdering Mozart plot has been pretty much disproven, at least from what I have heard... but Mozart was a weird mofo... they got the part right about him joking about sh*t ("tihs ym tae" etc...) all the time... I think it is possible that he laughed like that, but the bulk of the movie is fictional... sorry...

Funny, I'm watching this movie now, 8 years after this thread and just googled the same question only to find an FP post about it! Thanks for the ass-schooling.

Even sadder - it is based on a play by Peter Schaffer (of Equus fame). His mania, his sexual appetite, his gauche manners, his inability to focus unless pushed are all accurate. Salieri despised him, more because he (S) was a man of modest musical talent confronted with a swaggering, braggartly, giant of musical talent. The bit about too many notes is accurate.

The Requiem was finished after Mozarts death by one of his students at the request of Constance. 'His grave has been found, but of course as it was a mass grave dealing with the health issues of the plague sweeping the city at that time, his individual bones have not been identified.

There has been some speculation that Mozart suffered from both Tourrette's syndrome and ADHD, but nothing denies his ability to write music without reference to keyboard or other instrument.

Contemporaries of Mozart do indicate that he laughed like a donkey braying, so there may be some verisimilitude in the acting.

Mozart was the micheal jackson of his time, while little five years old were playing toys and oet he was practicing harpcord and piano

I would be surprised if he laughed like that. Most classical geniuses were alcoholics, and a decent percentage of them had syphilis. I used to study music history..there lots of TMI documentation.

I still teach music history and he did indeed bray like a donkey.

As for the illnesses, I would not say most, but some.

Mozart was in a different class to many musicians of his day, not least because his father toured his 10-12 year old son all over Europe trying to secure a post for him at one of the great royal households or courts.

The fact that he lost post after post was down to his manners and wildness. Both of these are documented in such a way that a post-factum diagnosis of Tourrettes and ADHD are strong possibilities.

well i would really like to see him producing nowadays music.... :)

well i would really like to see him producing nowadays music.... :)

Imagine that... they didn't have sequencers, recording, quantization... just piano and a piece of paper. And still, they made the best music ever.

I agree, it would be really interesting to see them producing nowadays music.

Back