Are ALL melodies on a scale?

firstly - they are not keys but notes/tones

melodies will relate back to two things with more emphasis given to the one than the other

Chords - the active chord will suggest a temporary home key key/scale/mode according to chord-scale theory (an advanced area of jazz/pop theory)

and

home key - the home key scale/mode will also suggest the more usual path to use notes to create the melody

for example

If I have the chord progression C-F-C-G-C-F-C-D-G (all major chords) the following scales are some possibilities for each chord:

C ~ C major (C-D-E-F-G-A-B-C), G Major (G-A-B-C-D-E-F#-G), F major (F-G-A-Bb-C-D-E-F)
F ~ F major (F-G-A-Bb-C-D-E-F), C major (C-D-E-F-G-A-B-C), Bb Major (B-C-D-Eb-F-G-A-Bb)
G ~ G Major (G-A-B-C-D-E-F#-G), D major (D-E-F#-G-A-B-C#-D), C major (C-D-E-F-G-A-B-C)
D ~ D major (D-E-F#-G-A-B-C#-D), G Major (G-A-B-C-D-E-F#-G), A major (A-B-C#-D-E-F#-G#-A)

however for the most part we are likely to use the scale of C major throughout until the D major chord where we would use the scale of G major temporarily to create a sense of closure to the G chord - the G chord itself would not use the F# but an F to promote the movement back to C major

Yea I have yet to find a set of notes that don't have a scale or relative sometimes I'll just jot down 4 or 5 notes that sound crazy then look up what scale its in or what scale fits best for that song there are 100s of scales so if you can think it up there is a scale for it...at least as far as I can tell I'm still learning

You get chromatic passing notes sometimes, which tend not to fit into any scale.

They don't come up very often in popular music, though

Last edited:
@bandcoach correct me if I'm wrong but the way I understand it is, every note is on a scale. Therefore all melodies consist of notes on a particular scale. Some melodies only contain notes in a specific scale. And sometimes there will be melodies where all of the notes aren't from the same scale.

Last edited:
Okay coach, correct me if I'm wrong. All musical expression has been charted (we have a language to communicate it to others).

If we move outside of a scale/chord structure, we are just dealing with common tones or accidentals which are used frequently in most popular composition.

Last edited:
yep: it is called chromatic decoration if outside the chord/scale and modulation if the chord itself is outside the home key/scale

Back