about my tracks

gareth

I have this problem for all the tracks i produce..
ive been using fruityloops but now changed to Reason and i still have this problem.. after i make the song and export it as audio file.. when i listen to it.. it seems its missing somethin which makes it sound like a real song... coz the sound seems to be so computerized or once ppl listen they will know its a home production..
doesnt sound like a real song

is there a cause to this? anything to fix this problem?
or is it coz i dont have a real synth?

how about an example of your music...maybe we'd be better able to guage your music and critique if you had an mp3 posted online.

~Lodger~

:victory:

Sounds like your skipping the mastering step. I'm not a huge expert on mastering myself, cause since I mostly release MP3s the quality is gonna take a hit anyhow, and my real love is doing live PAs. But anyhow, I have learned a few things about mastering, mostly through my experiences playing out and needing to improve sound quality so that I don't sound all muddy and/or tinny compared to DJs spinning professionally mastered, rich, warm vinyl.

A couple things would help you go the distance: a nice multi-band eq, and a compressor. Now since your in software, you can just go searching for plugins. EQing should be easy to get your hands on, in fact it comes built into most wav editors. The thing to keep in mind with EQ is that you don't want to use too much of it. In fact, you're generally better off turning down multiple bands rather than boosting others. Also remember that unless you have good studio monitors, you're not getting a very clear impression of what your tune sounds like. If you put it on a tape or cd, and play it in car stereos, home stereos, whatever, you'll find that the extra bass you cranked up so it sounded good on your computer speakers turns the song into mush on your car subs.

And then we have compressors... Traditionally, software compressors sucked HARD. More so even than software reverbs. The way the best tube compressors out there shape sound transparently while adding a certain je-ne-sais quoi (ppl call it warmth, punch, sizzle) just couldn't be emulated. There are a few out now that can do the business for you though-- Waves C1, or the TC Electronics compressor. My impression is that Waves is used by most pros, but unfortunately I can't get my hands on it... A bundle with 8 of their plugins goes for $3000 canadian. OUCH! Personally, I use a little hardware unit (Alesis Nancompressor), and occasionally dabble with the TC one if I've got an inspired mix in Sound Forge, but the sound quality bites. Other software you could look at is T-Rax which I've heard is all you'll ever need for mastering.

Anyways, back to compression-- what a compressor basically does is lowers the dynamic range of a song. In other words, it makes the quieter parts louder, and the louder parts quieter. With digital audio, the overrall volume of your file is scaled down relatively from a maximum of 0 dB. In other words, if you have this one crazy build that gets like 3dBs louder than the normal pumping beat that leads up to it, the main section is gonna come out at -3dBs once it's been recorded to wav, which basically takes the power out of it. Another trick you could use would be to run a limiter to take down out the sharp peaks, and then normalise the file to bring it back up again. With our 3dB example, if you limited to say -2.5dBs, the build gets knocked down to -2.5dB then the normalise kicks it back up to 0 (nevermind the 0, think maximum volume) and your main section is now kicking along nicely at -.5

Anyways, play around with different plugins and really really experiment. It takes a long time to come to grips with all the gizmos, and I know that for me it took me a while to really accept the fact that I should turn the bass down. Hehe, if you listen to some of my mp3s you'll see that I still overdo it sometimes. Anyways, if you're just making tracks for your own and your friends consumption you may not even need to worry about mastering, but as you progress and start thinking abuot playing on a massive sound system, or releasing a demo, you gotta invest some serious time, and probably a little cash to do your creative ideas justice. Good luck!
-mj-

forgot to say

well i after i export my track as audio file i did use T-rack to master it ... and it ended up like this den its still missin the thing wut a real song has i think!

without the right amount of reverb (use it sparingly).. things sound dry.. did u use any?
didnt listen to the song yet.. i will at home

hmm

am i suppose to add reverb to the whole song?
coz i did add reverb to my synths to make it more dreamy effect..
and bit to the overall track

Im sitting on my mac at my job. so i only have speakers to hear what you did, but i like the emotion you give. So i cant realy analyze with speakers, but it seems that you need an eq to push subbasses or just add a second bass.

By the way : try and try and try and try and try, and its not that what you wanted : try and try and try and try

hmm

ya i was trying to create a very emotional atmosphere during the break down bit~ hope it worked
the break down bit was ok but the beats is bit is missin somethin to make it sound like a real song~ as in the track is not finished the bits with the beat is basically a bassline there stillt op layers which i havent added.. but before i add it.. it still doesnt sound like a real track.. as in the quality! just raelly hard to explain!

consider using pad synths- since the track is essentially bass driven, perhaps a nice warm mid pad would be best suited to you.

after laying this pad, also consider the posibility of adding another two or three not pattern with a mid synth...and maybe add a voariation to it...

if you add these changes, you will probably get a really positve result. btw- what software is this made with? if fruityloops, consider exporting all of your instrument tracks to a program like orion as wav files and using that as a mix envt- i find that it has a tendency to make software sound really really nice

-are you comparing your export on your computer to a pro cd on a hi-fi system, cuz it doesn't sound like anything is wrong with the mastering, but listen to Lodger

-you got's a driving beat, rolln bassline and clean atmos. . . .you need a hook !

-work on the build up, befoe you perfect the breakdown.:cool:

I'm not a pro and I haven't got speakers here at work, but I can offer this simple and cookie-cutter advice:

give it a 2-10% boost around 50hz

I have lots of friends who write electronic stuff in Reason, and it all sounds better with a little boost around there, and it makes the track sound less like Reason (yes, a good ear CAN tell the difference).

Even most dance music NOT done in reason needs a boost around 50.

Good luck.

Back