90's hip hop production without sampling

izzy1

what did they do in the 90's for instruments to make people wanna jump and dance i wanna know how and what they used thnks.

what did they do in the 90's for instruments to make people wanna jump and dance i wanna know how and what they used thnks.

it would help if you give an example of a song you are talking about, because you say "without sampling" but a lot of 90's hip hop was all about samples drums and sampled quick shots/hits...

But it is not just the fact that songs were constructed from sampled breaks and hits... it is the *way* they used them and the *types* of sounds they chose.

The thing that "makes people wanna jump up and dance" comes from the way they use the sounds. it is from the writing. The flow of the beats and the flow of the vocals.

...but a good bet to figure out the synths and samplers they used would be to simply look at what was available at that time when the album was made.

I mean like naughty by nature o.p.p the bass and Teddy Riley synths to get that funky feel synth like that

yea opp's bassline was from the original song "jackson 5- abc"

southern, mid western and west coast rap had a lot of live instruments and synths, and east coast **** was mostly sampled until rza and erick sermon came through with the keyboards around 94-95. i think e. sermon was probably the first mainstream east coast producer using keyboards like that in the 90s

Youll be hard pressed to find any 90s hip hop that didn't include samples. Everyone sampled in the 90s until around 98-99 when people started playing with Trinities and Tritons

---------- Post added at 02:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:42 PM ----------

yea opp's bassline was from the original song "jackson 5- abc"

southern, mid western and west coast rap had a lot of live instruments and synths, and east coast **** was mostly sampled until rza and erick sermon came through with the keyboards around 94-95. i think e. sermon was probably the first mainstream east coast producer using keyboards like that in the 90s
What keyboards were Erik Sermon and Rza rockin? I dont recall them using anything outside of their samplers?

---------- Post added at 02:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:44 PM ----------

Lol thnks And what about new jack swing synths and gfunk bass and rhodes
moog keyboards anything that can give you a fat bass

I get you on everybody sampled alot in the 90's but do you know the producer named Dallas Austin who produced for tlc and various singers if so how to get his simillar sound and another thing the g funk Rhodes

Last edited:
oh i kno causee just the synths he played were crazy. i need help with 90's daz dilinger bass and rhodes on a minimoog and lounge lizard

What keyboards were Erik Sermon and Rza rockin? I dont recall them using anything outside of their samplers?

RZA used a Nord Lead on almost all of Liquid Swords.

90's Synths:
JV-1080 (Dr. Dre, Mobb Deep, damn trust me the list goes on)
Rhodes
Triton (mostly Neptunes, Timbaland, and later Jay-Z stuff in 90's)
Planet Phatt (Dj Premier, Heavy D)
Mo Phatt (ALOT OF PEOPLE)

I forgot about the 1080 which is funny kuz i had the XP 30 which was a keyboard version of it up until December lol. Good sound module. I didnt think of the Triton but I would say more so the Trinity wouldn't you? The Tritons didnt come out until late 98. The trinity came out in 95. And was people really using the mo phatt and planet phatt sounds besides drums?

aye thnks guys but i cant get those modules only vsti's

---------- Post added at 03:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:58 PM ----------

so g funk rhodes are filterd or what can i do to get that smooth sound in lounge lizard vsti

Try Rolands jv or xv series you'll find all what you want to sound liek the nineties, you can find some good ebay deal for around 200300
peace

Back