808 Sound design

deadboltz

So I've being listening to this song Meek mill - flexing on em I can't post the link sorry it doesn't let me.

Now im wondering how to make a kick drum like that, at this point everyone would say to me that is a 808 kick drum download a sample of one. But what im interested in is the sound design of them. Hiphop songs always seem to change sound of the 808 drum and make it a element of the song. It almost has a tone of its own like the way some producers make unique lead synths for there songs. Now to some extent I realise that is the actual key that is played for the drum. but I can get a few sines in massive and change the attack and that to make it sound like a 808 drum but how do I shape the sound further so I can make a more unique sound. I have also used different wavetables as I know it changes the sound a bit, but I want to ideally know how the drum sound in that song was crafted so I can learn from the techniques that it went through. Another example is tyga - switch lanes, this song has another great sounding 808 that is uniquely different from the one in the meek mill song.

I also have another question, when 808 drums are played close together. Don't they suffer from problems with the bass tones overlapping from the longer decay times.

Thanks

Last edited:
I also have another question, when 808 drums are played close together. Don't they suffer from problems with the bass tones overlapping from the longer decay times.

You set the polyphony to 1 (so it's monophonic), which means the sampler can only handle 1 note at a time, which means that the previous kick will end as soon as the new one strikes.

Good luck with this one. Bass is the hardest thing to deal with.it seems like the people that know how to make them hot bass sounds will not tell you because then you will be more competition .hope you get lucky

Last edited:
Back