your favorate gear suggestions

R

Rayne

I'm a sound designer and engineer. The kind of work I do out of my home studio isn't giant multi-track recording projects. I create the effects for theatre productions, do converting work, editing, a bit of production, etc.. I do a tiny bit of recording, but usually it's a remote recording session: I like to make my gear portable for that reason. but I'm getting a paycheck from some work I did.. and I'm looking for suggestions on gear that you feel is invaulable.
---------------------
-I've got a nice set of Event 20/20bas monitors
- Roland VM-3100 digital mixer/ control surface
-ADJ dcd-pro400 dual CD decks + mixer
- Numark pro TT1 + pioneer mixer
- MIdi keyboard
_2x AKG D8000s mic
I' was thinking possibly some mic pre-s or a hardware compressor.. I could see those being very useful in the future. I think i'm goig to spend the $80 for 2x D9000 AKG mics. I've had good luck with the 8000, and the 9000 is a bit better.

I saw an advertisment for the Nady PRA-8 for $100. but 8 mic pre's for $100 MUST sound like ass! My mixer only has 2 XLR inputs, and the phantom power is broken on it. SO I could fix the phantom power and spend liek $70, or buy 8 XLR inputs w/ phantom powe.r.. but if it sounds like ****, i don't benefit.

Please let me know what gear you found invaulable when you where starting out getting your own work. Or what piece of ger would you never trade and find yourself using daily. :) Thanks alot for your recomendations guys! (and girls) ;)

you really didn't say what you are recording on. are you looking for software? hardware? if you are looking for a good pre that is small enough to take on the road the Presonus Blue Tube is a nice small pre that sounds good.

software wise Drumagog is KING for drum replacement on PC. MDA makes a ton of cool free plug ins.

I have every free vst from KVR. Spent a week downloading every one of them. :P took awhie to sift through the good ones.. MDA makes some quality releases.

I'm taking the optical out from the Vm-31oo mixer through a Edirol UA-1D into my laptop. I have a desktop DAW, with the DMX-6fire.

I'm pretty much set with software. I've bought cubase SX, and I set up my mixer as a control surface for it. great little set up.
(recording the analog out from my CD decks, into my mixer, optical into the laptop = -94dB s/n)

I bought a new chair :-D LOl. Given the amount of time I spend sitting in front of my gear, I should be comfurtable. Staples is having a sale. I got a $70 leather managers chair for $40.

--- My mixer has onboard compression. But it's not too great: ok for setting up a hardpeak limiter, but that is about all..... The only thing I can think of that I might really *need* is a decent two channel compressor.
-- I'm not big on spending money on gear, simply for having new gear. It's how you use it, not the amount of it that you've got. A dangerouse road for many an engineer ;-) I was wondering what You were thankful to have purchased early. OR maybe what you wish you hadn't spend your hard earned cash on.

for two channel compressors i LOVE the Emperical Labs Fatso jr. is a bit expensive but worth every penny. for a little bit more you can pick up an Alan Smart C2 compressor. it is the 2bus compressor from the SSL G series consoles. NICE. i dont own one, but i work in studios that have either an SSL or an Alan Smart. if i was in a situation where i didn't have access to an SSL i would definitly put an Alan Smart in my rack.

the FMR Audio RNC is a KILLER stereo compressor that goes for under 200 bucks. it is only 1/3rd of a rackspace wide. EVERYONE should have one of these things. sounds great.

Back