yes vocals can be separated from a song

beng410

the question has been asked many times, and there is a way to separate vocals form a song, the only problem in doing so is that you might lose some of the instumental. The process does not produce two seperate tracks but "silences out" the vocals. I don't have the time right now to explain it all, (i'm in the middle of a lecture), but it involves using programs such as x-noise, x-click, x-hum, and other such noise eliminating programs in a combination to only allow certain frequecies to pass through, note: this process is only sucessful 50% of the time and takes hours of tweaking but if done correctly will only allow bass and instument notes to play through the song. If done correctly the pitch of the singer will be recognized and silenced and only the instrumental will pass through. Ill post a picture some other time, gotta go, experiment and good luck!

BY THE WAY, you CAN do the same (different settings) process to remove the instrumental and allow (again, depends on the song %50 chance) only vocals to pass through. Again im in a rush and will post some screenshots of this sometime later. Good luck to everyone and hope that this will work for you!

I've done it this way with success most of the time.

1. Create 2 mono tracks form the the stereo track.
2. Set each mono track to a track.
3. invert the phase of one track, while the second track adjust the pan left or right.

I get better results when I run CD player through my mixer which has a phase invert switch.

If the song is heavy on effects (delay, reverb) you'll get much of the artifacts from it.

www.mixlineent.com

since main vocal tracks are generally panned in the center... but inverting the phase of each stereo side 180 degrees you can cancell out the center of the stereo spectrum... thereby removing the vocals entirely.
:)

This was a tip in the newest computer music magainze given my the creators of traktion.

the only problem I see with this is that while it is true that main vocals are panned center.... so are bass tracks, and the kick drum in most music. this will get rid of everything in the center : /

analog x makes a freeware plugin that dose this and while most of the time u lose the bass , kick and snare i can put the kick back with limited results by making a copy of the track and filtering just under the vocal freq and mixing it back in with the processed track most of the time i don't think it's worth it tho.

anyone else have a feeling of deja vú?

• someone asks how to remove vocals/remove beats from a song
  • people say it's impossible
  • someone links to urbanspirit's vocal removing via recycle bin thread
  • carnage has a seizure
  • someone starts the phase-inverting thread
rinse & repeat.

So then would it be fair to say that yes, you can remove vocals from a track, BUT the result is amateur and no one intentially wants amateur. :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
you are absolutely wrong, the resuts are NOT amateur and if done correctly are completely professional. If done correctly you can a) REMOVE vocals from a track or b) REMOVE instrumentals and leave only vocals. This is not a reduction of presence of the sound, this will eliminate (in the mix) the unwanted sound. Again, practice and experiment!

you will never be able to completly seperate vocals from a complete track because vocals are not isolated in a certan harmonic range. if you are pulling out the mids to get the presence of the vocal, you are still going to end up with the mids of every other instrument, sample, etc in the track. you are crazy if you think you can extract a clean vocal recording from a full track. no amount of EQ/Compression/Filters can do that.

i wish that i could post a sample, but the only acess i have to the net is through the school computers. In regards to the last posting, you are correct 50% of the time. In many songs that is true, you cannot completely isolate the sounds that you want BUT in the other 50% of the hip hop songs that i have used the vocals tend to remain in the same range ie. eminem, 50 cent, etc. and can be isolated.

beng410 said:
i wish that i could post a sample, but the only acess i have to the net is through the school computers. In regards to the last posting, you are correct 50% of the time. In many songs that is true, you cannot completely isolate the sounds that you want BUT in the other 50% of the hip hop songs that i have used the vocals tend to remain in the same range ie. eminem, 50 cent, etc. and can be isolated.

bull****. the human voice has subharmonics down to below 50 hz, and overtones up to 20,000. You cant cleanly isolate a voice from any track if it even has one instrument in it, let alone a whole beat. Simple and plain.

doing this phase inversion trick is possible if all the instramental tracks a panned left and right and the lead vocal is dead center as far as eqing the vocal out it is possible but you would lose anything else in that freq so again i say why even bother

undadog said:
doing this phase inversion trick is possible if all the instramental tracks a panned left and right and the lead vocal is dead center as far as eqing the vocal out it is possible but you would lose anything else in that freq so again i say why even bother

When working on tracks, I pan one take hard left, another hard right, and leave ad libs in the center. Everyone has their producing style of course but I know many people implement vocals panned all the way one direction or the other, specially here in the Bay Area.

The best thing to do if you're serious about using an instrumental is to contact the label since you'll have to license anyways. Or, you can buy a single. Or, you can learn to make beats. You can also just pay for a beat too. If you're putting out good-sounding tracks, you'll make your money back.

(By the way, I'm not arguing with undadog, just adding comments.)

Back