Yamaha HS7 speakers setup questions

schmitty83

So, I got my Yamaha HS7's today and these are my first speakers and I'm new to setting these up and stuff. I attached a pic of the backside panel and my room (with arrows showing where my speakers go and where the backside of speakers are facing) that is currently an office as I develop it into a studio. On the backside, it has knobs - what should I set the knobs to based on how my room looks and the size? My room is a standard home office, 3 windows, 10 x 11 room size.

Thanks

studio .pngHS7_rear-48a0ae477171ce71b07dc8b4eae9681e.jpg

Last edited:
Leave the settings as they are currently pictured with room control and high trim set to 0. If you are driving the speakers from an audio interface there may be markings on the interface output jacks that will say either +4 or -10 so adjust your input level knob accordingly.

As far as speaker placement goes the desk location is cool but be sure the distance from each speaker to your head is an equilateral triangle.
For a pictorial example go to Google Images and type in "speaker listener triangle".

Hope this info helps.

Kevin

I disagree with the placement of your desk...
You want your desk to be in the middle of a wall, and you should be facing the wall as well. The distance from your monitors to the back wall should be long, not short, as in your case. The shorter that distance, the bigger the problem with reflection.

You want to have as much symmetry as possible, if your monitors both have a different distance from the side walls, then they will sound different becuse the reflections are not the same.

Also, get acoustic treatment, especially with solid monitors. If you don't treat the room, you pretty much threw away quite some money, as the sound you will hear won't be an honest reflection of what you are actually making.

Back