Would this work as a vocal booth?

Can do the trick but it depends on the room and its acoustic dynamics. A booth provides dampening and isolation but how much you need depends on the evironment. Its cheap so why not try it (that cant cost more than $20-50) It will also come down to your equipment and how good your Mic/Audio Card set up is. If it cuts too much treble (which I doubt) just move back (mic) from the blanket.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think it would be good as long as your room is treated properly. Those blankets can suck up the high end, but you want to make sure the low end is taken care of.

I give this a try ... do y'all think this will keep down the noise while recording? (stop the neighbors from complaining?)

Fam Nice said:
I give this a try ... do y'all think this will keep down the noise while recording? (stop the neighbors from complaining?)
As long as you make sure the room itself is treated, then it should help with the vocal recording, but it won't stop the neighbors from yelling. You need to sound proof the room for that.

Treat the room (low-end first), and fix what's making the noise. If you don't know what or how much noise you have, open up a mic in a headphone mix and turn it up. If you can't find the noise, move the mic around and listen for the noise to get louder or softer.

In a pinch, I have gotten away with recording vocals in my control room, no vocal booth, no blankets. My computer is quiet, and nothing else really makes noise aside from people (I limit to just me and the talent, no noisy clothing). Then set up a pre- and post-roll so your keystroke or mouse click isn't recorded...

Last edited:
does that actually go all the way around you or is one side jus open like that?

One side is open. I would think you would put it behind you and face the center of the room.

Last edited:
so youd position it so that you are facing the mic and that thing is behind you? why like that? shouldnt you have something going all the way around or something

No. You need the mic pointed towards you (obviously), but also toward the place where sound is being controlled.

oh ... that thing kind of looks like it can be set up on a certain angle where it could completely surround one recording artist... wouldnt that be better to minimize all around sound?

in the pictures it shows the mic pointing away from that booth though

Back