word clock? superclock? smpte for music? :::

B

Badtz

I was wondering what all these "clocks" are for? & how exactly is smpte used for music [sub-frames?]?

is there any "code" that is primarily used in music production?

Basically they're all for sync'ing all the bits of recording gear in your studio. The Wordclock and Superclock ones are for digital recorders so that their A/D and D/A converters all run in sync. The SMPTE allows the records to stop and stop playing/recording at the same time as well as any shuttling functions. Say you have 3 ADAT machines with your tune recorded across all three of them - you have to sync them up so that the tune will always playback correctly. You can't press Play on all three of them at the same time can you! SMPTE can.

Footnote: Superclock isn't used that much beacuse it runs incredibly fast and is therefore easier to distort.

is smpte primarily used in video or music? is it efficient enough for music? is this the "main" sync clock for music ?

aren't there variations of smpte? vitc, etc.

Yes. SMPTE is acurate enough for music and no its not used for Video more than music.

For video sync-ing, Blackburst Sync is used.

aren't there variations of smpte? vitc, etc

SMPTE is LTC ( longitudinal timecode ) , VITC is vertical integrated timecode and is what you have on DAT recorders and VHS cassettes , and give the timing reference for the clock counter.

Actually I think they use MTC to sync ADATS and SMPTE is for sync'ing audio, video and film transports I think it stands for society of motion picture television engineers.

i thought mtc was inaccurate for music since it's a slow protocol? [or am i pulling this from the wrong part of my brain] ? :)

Actually I think they use MTC to sync ADATS

VITC is striped verticaly on the digital tape and is a timing reference for the player itself. For its clock counter and internal reference. Without this it would have no way of knowing where it was.

MTC or SMPTE may be fed in as an external sync to get the machine to play in time with other players. MTC is fine for sync , SMPTE is perhaps a little more accurate and not prone to glitches if there is a lot of other midi traffic through the interface.

Back