when i turn my computer off i hear like an intergalactic space beaming noise

• Thread starter wickedrobfacekilla
  • Start date
W

wickedrobfacekilla

i use delta 44 sound card and break out box , whats the deal?

On some computers when you turn them off the HDD motors "discharge" (well it is a good mechanical battery) back into the power rails, thats the only thing I can think of.

probably drives spinning down (they tend to be the last 'noise' you here when logging off a pc, as the other fans stop pretty immediatly)

Your talking about that whistling sound that has a downward portamento to it?

Mungo has to be right. I never thought of that sound to be an electrical back-feed.

I thought it was the sound of the disc platter spinning down after the centrifugal force from the motor has stopped its rotational velocity.

On the other hand I also thought it was the little mouse that Maxtor disc's use to run on the disc to spin it in the first place.

Hey you would whine too after spinning 7,200 RPM's! :D

Last edited:
When I have everything in my room on (the 3 19" monitors, studio monitors, ssurround sound, computer, tv, and consoles) and when the power goes out I hear a huge sound like that also. It's like a pop and then sounds like the generators just got blown up in Tribes 2 :-D. I also hear a lotta cussing cuz I haven't bought a UPS yet and I'm always in the middle of something. So you're not alone.

-Donovan

Back