What's your gearlist and style?

mosquito said:
donate plasma
donate sperm/eggs

ah hahahahahahahaha

i get my money via a day job, watch gear prices daily (i paid $849 for the eurodesk brand new), shop the used gear shops weekly, and try to use whatever spare cash i do have on it.....

it's all about being smart....
......and a little bit off freak :P,

i've started buying everything on ebay.I gave up on Long&Mcquade a while ago.Anyone living in Canada and buying gear should not shop at Long&Mcquade they have a complete monopoly on Canadian sales,and their prices aren't competetive in the least.Seriously,buy your stuff from the states.There is so much more competition between American companies for your money.Ebay is a great way to buy gear.Think about it,have you ever wanted someting that Long&Mcquade didn't have in stock?And how long did it take to order?You can get anything from the states in a week,and its not too expensive to ship via usps.or ups.Check zzounds.com for good deals or musicians friend,or even guitar center.Duty on electronic gear is quite low too.I ordered something worth $1100cdn from Austin,Texas,and at the border I only had to pay 150cdn.(gst&pst)This was brand new in the box from a dealer.Long&Mcquade,on the exact same item quoted me at $1800cdn,with a 4-6 week wait(it only took 2wk. from texas)And taxes on top of that! I saved like $1000 cdn.

Hey phatbastard I want the fr-777 and I am saving for it now, its $777 in the states and $1400 here in canada how much do you think I would save doing it your way?, give me some advice on ordering from the states:D

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=887682799 This one is on ebay right now with the "buy it now" for $750 us. This works out to $1140cdn.Now he has free shipping in the U.S. so you could probably get him to credit the $25 towards your shipping (which would be about $10-$20 more to Canada)So we're at $1160 cdn now.Only have your items shipped by U.S.P.S. they are the cheapest,and they transfer it to CanadaPost at the border.(U.P.S. etc. charge 20-30 bucks for border handling)I never get charged duty for music gear,but you always have to pay tax.w/tax it works out to $1331,delivered to your door in about two weeks.Now 1400+tax=$1610,so you'd save almost $300....This was not a really good example,because it's not a super common piece of gear.....on an mpc,or say a triton it would be more like $500-$1000 you'd save

I'm working on decreasing my gearlist to make room for some nasty analog filterboxes and some analog monster synths... but here is the list on gear i use in my homestudio today:

Fender Stratocaster (american or vintage.. dont remember)
a yammy acoustic
ensoniq eps (2xRAM + output expander)
a disgusting yammy synth
korg ms2000r
clavia nord lead classic
clavia nord micro modular
kawai k4r
roland jv1080
roland jv2080 (+ a bunch of expansion cards)
creamware pulsar 2 + some extra plugs
16 channel adat IO
Marshall Guv'nor

if anyone wanna sell a nice analog modular system (or a clavia modular key) for a fairly good price... send me a mess ;)
Ohyeah.. i make EBM, psychedelic synth-rock, atmospheric db, ambient + and all kinds of music for games.

I rented the ms2000r for a month.The sounds were allright,but mostly based on preset patches.The leads were good,and it was nice to have all of the parameters assigned to knobs.This would be really good for unchi music though.They had a few arpeggiated patches that were good to go,and some phat filter bass.

Last edited by a moderator:
the coolest thing was the price,it was only about 600us for the rack version,but 900us for the keyboard version.

Too bad I like keyboards, I have to pay more for everything. I wish I had the money to buy a Virus Indigo.. someday...it'll be mine.. :cool:

CZ

I almost got a nord lead for about $400 the other week,but the guy had sold it about 1/2 hr before I talked to him.I checked out the fantom by roland......pretty phat sounds......i just have beef with roland......for some reason i seem to always buy their least intuitive machines......vs-880ex,mc505,vm3100. I'm sure they make good gear,i just never get to try them out.Do you have both of those keyboards that you have on your site?

Gear

I use the following gear :

Hardware :

Behringer Eurorack MX802A
Roland MC 307
Novation A-Station
Gibson SG Electric Guitar
Ashton Electric Bass
Zoom FX module
Sony Monitors

Hardware Setup

Software :

PIII 600 with Audigy Soundcard running:

Sound Forge 6.0
Reason 1.01
ReCycle 2.0
Fruity Loops 3.01 (Hardly use , but its good for bass lines)
Acid Pro 2.0
NI FM7
NI Pro 52
PPG Wave Ver 2
LM4

Computer Setup

I dont concentrate on a style of music so i do mainly what i lissen to at the time :

I've done :
Ambient
Electro
Drum n Bass
Industrial (EBM , Powernoise)
Trip Hop

Access Virus b virtual analog synth
Roland Juno 106 polyphonic synthesizer
Roland TB-303 (with Kenton MIDI to CV converter)
Roland XP-50 music workstation
Yamaha A3000 sampler
Alesis Microverb III digital reverb and delay
Roland MDE-24 mixing board
Yamaha REX50 Digital Effects (dedicated to the 303)
various software packages...

I started off producing hardcore and jungle then shifted into trance and am currently producing hardtrance/hardstyle with a little bit of hard NRG to boot. i love aggressive music for some reason, which is strange because I'm actually really laid back!
:confused:

Pretty basic stilll

-Emu E6400 Ultra w/ SCSI HD
-Waldorf microQ
-Ensoniq ESQ-1
-FMR RNC Compressor
-Symetrix C-150 compressor
-Alesis Quadraverb
-An old DOD R845 (I think) spring reverb, that sounds unbeleivably bad, and which I use all the time ;)
-Lexicon Vortex
-Midiman 2496 (but I may trade back for Terratec EWS-88)
-Mackie 1604
-Logic Audio 5
-A dozen or so select plugins

I make drum n bass, and some weird abstract breaks/IDM stuff.

Last edited:
Hey Dannymix, nice setup !

Did you make the 19" racks by yourself ? If not, where should I find those wooden racks ?

Thanx & peace !! :cheers:

Yea made the myself sorry! I can always give you the plan I made to build them.

Rack 1 with the main gear in is a normal box rack mount for giging and I just built around it, you can get these boxes from most main music shops like Turnkey.

Last edited:
Yea made the myself sorry! I can always give you the plan I made to build them.
Great work !! You'd be very noble giving me that plan !! Thanx in advance !

I have:
Emagic Logic Platinum 5.1 (trying to learn!!)
Cakewalk Sonar 2XL
SOnic Foundry SOund Forge 6
Izotope Ozone
Waves restoration plugs
NI FM7
Fruity loops 3.4

Old school simple MIDI keyboard (made my nintendo) :rolleyes:
ADJ DCD-400 Dual CD player
Gemini 4 channel cheepo DJ mixer (1/2 broken)
Electrix EQ killer
Peavey Milestone 2 Bass guitar
Boss Bass 506 effects multi effects pedal

Sooon to come :D
Roland VS1300 digital Mixer
(2) AKG Dynamic 8000 Microphones

I'm still trying to find a style to produce.... right now I'm learnign it all... doing theatre work... and I try to make tunes havign to do with themes.... (shadow play is my new idea)

Back